Three solo blasts help Rangers cruise past YankeesApr 26, 2012 - 6:40 AM
Mike Napoli and Mitch Moreland also hit solo home runs while Ian Kinsler went 3-for-5 with a double and two runs scored for Texas, which won the final two games of this series to improve to 15-4.
Scott Feldman, making his first start of the season, allowed two runs on six hits over 3 1/3 innings and reliever Robbie Ross (4-0) tossed 2 2/3 scoreless frames for the win.
Raul Ibanez had a solo homer and an RBI double for New York. Phil Hughes (1-3) lasted just 2 2/3 innings and surrendered four runs on five hits in the loss.
"It's been frustrating," Hughes said of his start to the season. "Something has to change."
Beltre began the scoring with a leadoff shot to deep center in the second and the Rangers added to the early lead with a three-run third.
Moreland reached with a one-out single, advanced to second on Kinsler's double and crossed the plate on an Elvis Andrus groundout. Hughes then hit Josh Hamilton before Beltre scored Kinsler with a line drive to right. Michael Young's subsequent double pushed another run across and Hughes was relieved after hitting Nelson Cruz to load the bases. Clay Rapada grounded out David Murphy to prevent further damage.
The Yankees responded in the fourth when Robinson Cano and Mark Teixeira began the inning with consecutive singles and Ibanez belted a one-out ground-rule double to left-center, scoring Cano and chasing Feldman.
Ross entered and allowed Teixeira to come home on Eric Chavez's sac fly, but Russell Martin lined out to end the inning and New York failed to register a hit against the rookie over the next two frames.
"He has been tremendous," Rangers manager Ron Washington said of Ross. "We brought him in tonight and we needed him to give us exactly what he gave us."
Napoli led off the fourth with a homer and Moreland began the sixth with a shot to right before Beltre added a bases-loaded single later in the inning, making it 7-2.
Ibanez homered off of Neftali Feliz in the seventh to cap the scoring.
The Rangers won their club-record sixth consecutive series to begin a season...Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter went 2-for-4, stretching his hit streak to 15 games. He has 11 multi-hit games this season... On Wednesday, the Yankees announced that pitcher Michael Pineda will undergo season-ending arthroscopic surgery on May 1 to repair an anterior labral tear. Pineda was acquired from Seattle this offseason in a deal that sent top prospect Jesus Montero to the Mariners.
- NEW YORK: 3
Apr 25 11:03 PM
- Raul Ibanez lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Eric Chavez due up.
Yankees 3, Rangers 7 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 25 10:16 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to left scored Ian Kinsler with one out. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second. Runners on first and second and Michael Young due up.
Yankees 2, Rangers 7 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 25 10:08 PM
- Mitch Moreland lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Ian Kinsler due up.
Yankees 2, Rangers 6 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 25 10:02 PM
- Mike Napoli lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Mitch Moreland due up.
Yankees 2, Rangers 5 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 25 9:27 PM
- Russell Martin lined out to first to end the inning.
Yankees 2, Rangers 4 Mid 4Apr 25 9:24 PM
- Raul Ibanez ground-rule double to left scored Robinson Cano with one out. On the play, Mark Teixeira advances to third. Runners on second and third and Eric Chavez due up.
Yankees 1, Rangers 4 Top 4, 1 OutApr 25 9:19 PM
- Michael Young doubled to left scoring Josh Hamilton with two out. On the play, Adrian Beltre advances to third. Runners on second and third and Nelson Cruz due up.
Yankees 0, Rangers 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 25 9:04 PM
- Adrian Beltre singled to right scoring Ian Kinsler with two out. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to third. Runners on first and third and Michael Young due up.
Yankees 0, Rangers 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 25 9:02 PM
- Elvis Andrus grounded out third to first scoring Mitch Moreland with two out. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to third. Runner on third and Josh Hamilton due up.
Yankees 0, Rangers 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 25 8:59 PM
- Adrian Beltre lead-off Home Run (3) to center. Michael Young due up.
Yankees 0, Rangers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 25 8:33 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 25 8:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22