Price, Sutton lead Rays past YankeesJun 8, 2012 - 5:30 AM
Price (8-3) gave up one run on three hits while striking out eight and walking four for the Rays, who had scored just one run over the first two games of the series. Price has allowed just three runs over his last four starts.
Elliot Johnson, B.J. Upton, Ben Zobrist and Jose Lobaton each had an RBI and run scored for Tampa Bay.
New York starter CC Sabathia (7-3) allowed five runs -- three earned -- on seven hits over seven full frames. The left-hander fanned a season-high 12 batters.
"It's a little frustrating not being able to pick up the guys," admitted Sabathia.
Russell Martin hit a solo homer for the Yankees, who were trying to complete their fourth series sweep of the season. Raul Ibanez and Chris Stewart had an RBI apiece.
The Rays got on the board in the second inning. Upton led off with a double to left and raced home on Lobaton's bloop single to right.
New York responded with a run of its own in the bottom of the frame. Nick Swisher singled and Andruw Jones walked. Swisher went to third on a wild pitch and scored when Stewart grounded out to second.
Tampa Bay went back in front in the third. Johnson reached first on third baseman Alex Rodriguez's throwing error and scored on Zobrist's single. Desmond Jennings followed with a double to left to put men on second and third with one out. Upton's sacrifice fly made it a 3-1 game.
The visitors tacked on two more runs in the fourth. Lobaton and Matt Joyce hit back-to-back singles with one out. Sutton knocked in both runners with a double off the base of the wall in left.
The Yankees loaded the bases with one out in the fifth. Price stayed calm, though, and fanned Rodriguez before getting Robinson Cano to ground out.
"David was outstanding. He only threw five innings but it was almost like he threw a complete game," said Rays manager Joe Maddon about Price, who threw 109 pitches in five innings. "That last inning, that fifth inning, he had to really fight through some adversity."
The home team did get a run back in the eighth. Jake McGee put men on first and second with one out. Joel Peralta came in from the bullpen and got Swisher swinging for the second out. Pinch-hitter Ibanez followed with an RBI single to center, making it a 5-2 game.
But Tampa Bay tacked on two insurance runs in the ninth. Clay Rapada walked Joyce with one out. Cory Wade then took over on the mound and gave up a double to Sutton. Swisher's fielding error in the right corner allowed Joyce to score. Johnson followed with an RBI double to left-center field for a 7-2 lead.
J.P. Howell gave up a leadoff homer to Martin in the bottom half of the inning. Howell retired the next two batters before hitting Mark Teixeira with a pitch. Fernando Rodney recorded the final out to secure the victory.
The Rays lead the season series with the Yankees, 5-4...The game was delayed 26 minutes at the start due to rain...Price improved to 6-3 in 16 games (15 starts) versus the Yankees, while Sabathia fell to 10-8 lifetime against the Rays...New York placed pitcher Freddy Garcia on the bereavement list and recalled pitcher Ryota Igarashi from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre...The Yankees went 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position and stranded 10.
- TAMPA BAY: 7
NEW YORK: 3
Jun 7 11:03 PM
- Russell Martin lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Derek Jeter due up.
Rays 7, Yankees 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 7 10:52 PM
- Elliot Johnson doubled to left center scored Drew Sutton. Runner on second with one out and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 7, Yankees 2 Top 9, 1 OutJun 7 10:43 PM
- Drew Sutton doubled to right. On the play, Matt Joyce scored on Nick Swisher's fielding error. Runner on second with one out and Elliot Johnson due up.
Rays 6, Yankees 2 Top 9, 1 OutJun 7 10:43 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Raul Ibanez singled to center scored Alex Rodriguez. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jayson Nix due up.
Rays 5, Yankees 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 7 10:29 PM
- Drew Sutton doubled to left scored Jose Lobaton and Matt Joyce. Runner on second with one out and Elliot Johnson due up.
Rays 5, Yankees 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 7 8:47 PM
- B.J. Upton sacrifice fly out to center scored Ben Zobrist with two out. Runner on second and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 3, Yankees 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 7 8:26 PM
- Ben Zobrist single to center scored Elliot Johnson with one out. Runner on first and Desmond Jennings due up.
Rays 2, Yankees 1 Top 3, 1 OutJun 7 8:23 PM
- Chris Stewart grounded out second to first scoring Nick Swisher with two out. On the play, Andruw Jones advances to second. Runner on second and Derek Jeter due up.
Rays 1, Yankees 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 7 8:10 PM
- Jose Lobaton single to right scored B.J. Upton with two out. Runner on first and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 1, Yankees 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 7 7:55 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 7 7:31 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21