A's rally in 9th, edge Yanks againJul 21, 2012 - 5:58 AM
It was Oakland's 10th walk-off win this season, the most in the majors. The Athletics, who have captured seven of their last eight contests, are within 6 1/2 games of first-place Texas in the AL West. They're also in the thick of the wild card race.
Robinson Cano extended his hitting streak to a career-high 23 contests and tied the game in the top of the ninth with a solo homer for the Yankees, but the AL East leaders dropped their second straight one-run contest in this four-game series.
Cespedes went 4-for-5 and is on a tear during an eight-game hitting streak, going 18-for-31 in that stretch. He singled to center off Cody Eppley (0-1) with one out in the ninth. Jonny Gomes then hit a ball that took an odd bounce toward shortstop Derek Jeter for an infield single. Moss then delivered a liner to right. The throw to the plate from Andruw Jones was late.
"That's the way we're built. We have to get contributions from a lot of people," A's manager Bob Melvin said.
Tommy Milone recorded a career-high 10 strikeouts over seven shutout innings, and Jemile Weeks and Brandon Inge knocked in the other runs for the Athletics.
Russell Martin homered for the Yankees, who came into this series having won nine in a row at Oakland.
Ivan Nova scattered nine hits and fanned six over 6 2/3 innings.
"He made some mistakes with his slider at times where he didn't get it low enough," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "I thought he threw the ball overall pretty well. You figure you're going to win these games."
The Yankees also had their streak of having scored at least three runs in a single-season franchise-record 43 consecutive games broken.
Coco Crisp tripled to start the Oakland third and Weeks followed with a sacrifice fly to center. Moss and Inge hit consecutive doubles to open the bottom of the fourth.
The Yankees escaped a bases-loaded jam in the seventh when Boone Logan fanned Moss, and Martin went deep to left off Jerry Blevins in the eighth.
Cano homered to left off Ryan Cook (4-2) to start the ninth. In the seventh, he extended his hit streak by sending a bouncer just past the outstretched glove of shortstop Eric Sogard and into left field.
Sogard was tagged out in a rundown between third and home in the eighth.
The A's placed shortstop Cliff Pennington on the 15-day disabled list Friday with left elbow tendinitis. In a corresponding move, they recalled infielder Eric Sogard from Triple-A Sacramento...The Yankees have homered in 11 straight games, equaling a season-best...Yankees right fielder Nick Swisher suffered a mild strain of his hip flexor muscle and is not expected to play Saturday.
- NEW YORK: 2
Jul 21 1:13 AM
- Brandon Moss single to right scored Yoenis Cespedes with one out to end the game.
Yankees 2, Athletics 3 Bot 9, 1 OutJul 21 1:13 AM
- Robinson Cano lead-off Home Run (22) to left. Raul Ibanez due up.
Yankees 2, Athletics 2 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 21 12:55 AM
- Russell Martin lead-off Home Run (10) to left. Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 1, Athletics 2 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 21 12:27 AM
- Brandon Inge double to right scored Brandon Moss with none out. Runner on second and Eric Sogard due up.
Yankees 0, Athletics 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 20 11:14 PM
- Jemile Weeks sacrifice fly out to center scored Coco Crisp. None on with one out and Josh Reddick due up.
Yankees 0, Athletics 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 20 10:55 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 20 10:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21
- Tanaka helps Yankees beat A's for 4th straight win May 21