Mariners top Yankees; A-Rod fractures handJul 25, 2012 - 6:39 AM
The 26-year-old Venezuelan fired 7 1/3 innings of two-run ball, outdueling fellow countryman and childhood idol Freddy Garcia, as the Seattle Mariners edged the Yankees, 4-2, in the middle installment of a three-game set.
It was a rough loss for the Yankees, who will be without star third baseman Alex Rodriguez. He's headed to the disabled list with a fracture of his left hand.
Rodriguez was drilled on the hand by Hernandez in the eighth inning. He collapsed to the ground in agony after being pegged with an 88 mph change-up and was removed from the game. Rodriguez was the third and final hit batsman by Hernandez in a span of five batters.
"He's got a non-displaced fracture," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "Until Dr. Ahmad sees him I won't comment...He's been swinging the bat really good too."
Eric Chavez, who had a similar injury and missed eight weeks, will replace Rodriguez at third.
"Al (Rodriguez) is so important to our team. This is definitely going to hurt," Chavez said.
Hernandez (9-5) fanned four, scattered four hits and walked three for Seattle, which has won six of its last nine games.
The right-hander is 5-0 with a minuscule 1.49 ERA over his last eight outings. He came in with a 2-3 mark and a 4.43 ERA versus the Yankees at home as opposed to a 4-2 record and a 2.49 ERA against them in the Bronx.
Tom Wilhemsen struck out two in a 1-2-3 ninth to notch his 11th save of the year.
Garcia (4-4) retired the last 15 batters he saw, struck out eight and surrendered three runs on five hits for New York, which has dropped five of its last six.
Garcia, who spent the first five-plus years of his career with the Mariners, is 5-4 against his former club with a 5.08 ERA in 11 starts.
In his second game with the Yankees, Ichiro Suzuki went 1-for-3.
Both teams traded runs in the opening frame as Curtis Granderson launched a solo shot to right in the top half and Michael Saunders smacked a blast to right in the home half.
Seattle, though, plated two in the third. Brendan Ryan began the frame with a single and after Dustin Ackley flied out, Saunders' base hit to right put runners on the corners with one away.
Jesus Montero fisted a single to right, plating Ryan, and John Jaso lifted a sacrifice fly to center to bring home Saunders, giving the Mariners a 3-1 advantage.
New York loaded the bases with one out in the fourth, but Hernandez struck out Raul Ibanez and got Chavez to line out to center, ending the threat.
"That's what he does. He bears down, he steps up in those types of opportunities, he executes pitches, he's just a great competitor with great stuff. That was pretty impressive that inning," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said.
The Yankees got a run back in the eighth on Mark Teixeira's sacrifice fly to center, but Seattle answered in the bottom half to regain its two-run margin.
With the bases loaded and two outs, Kyle Seager's infield single brought home Ackley to make it 4-2.
Granderson's round-tripper was his 27th of the season...The Yankees were 2- for-10 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven, while Seattle finished 2-for-3 with RISP and left five men on base...Jaso had his 10-game home hitting streak snapped...Rodriguez struck out for the 2,000th time in his career in the sixth.
- NEW YORK: 2
Jul 25 1:01 AM
- Kyle Seager infield single to third scored Dustin Ackley with two outs. On the play, John Jaso advances to second and Chone Figgins advances to third. Bases loaded and Casper Wells due up.
Yankees 2, Mariners 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 25 12:47 AM
- Mark Teixeira sacrifice fly to center scored Derek Jeter with two outs. Runners on first and second and and Raul Ibanez due up.
Yankees 2, Mariners 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 25 12:16 AM
- John Jaso sacrifice fly to center scored Michael Saunders with two outs. Runner on first and Kyle Seager due up.
Yankees 1, Mariners 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 24 10:55 PM
- Jesus Montero single to right scored Brendan Ryan with one out. On the play, Michael Saunders advances to third. Runners on first and third and John Jaso due up.
Yankees 1, Mariners 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 24 10:54 PM
- Jesus Montero grounded out first to pitcher. None on with two outs and John Jaso due up.
Yankees 1, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 24 10:21 PM
- Curtis Granderson one-out, solo Home Run (27) to right. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 1, Mariners 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 24 10:11 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 10:10 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21