Rangers hold off YankeesAug 16, 2012 - 11:46 PM
David Murphy went 3-for-5 with two RBI and a run scored for the Rangers, who snapped an eight-game skid at Yankee Stadium. Geovany Soto and Elvis Andrus added an RBI apiece.
"We obviously had a never say die attitude today, and that's easier said than done," Murphy said. "It seemed like we were very determined, regardless of if we were up or down, to continue to put runs on the board and we were able to pull it out."
Texas starter Derek Holland gave up five runs -- four earned -- on five hits over 5 2/3 innings. Tanner Scheppers (1-0) recorded the final out in the sixth to pick up his first win the majors.
Andruw Jones hit a two-run homer for the Yankees, who were trying to complete their first four-game sweep against Texas since 2005. Derek Jeter, Nick Swisher, Russell Martin and Mark Teixeira had an RBI apiece.
"We played pretty good baseball (this series), we pitched, for the most part, pretty well, we swung the bats pretty well," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "You can't rest on what has happened the last four day, you have to keep plugging along here. We're still in a race, we're in a race for our division, we're in a race for the best record, so I do like the way we've played."
Ivan Nova started for New York and allowed four runs on seven hits over 5 2/3 innings. Boone Logan (4-1) was charged with two run on two hits to take the loss.
"I was looking forward to having a better (start) today, unfortunately I didn't," Nova said. "We have a month and a half left. We have to do everything possible to finish strong."
The AL West-leading Rangers put a pair of runs on the board in the first inning. Michael Young reached base on an infield single and Josh Hamilton followed with a double to left. Beltre stepped to the plate with one out and cleared the bases with a single to left-center field.
The visitors pushed two more runs across in the sixth. Hamilton led off the frame with a deep fly ball to left-center field. Jones, who was in position to make the catch, lost the ball in the sun. After Beltre was hit by a pitch, Murphy hit an RBI single to center. Two batters later, Mitch Moreland was intentionally walked to load the bases with one out. Gentry grounded into a fielder's choice to plate another run, making it a 4-0 game.
But the AL East-leading Yankees responded with five runs in the bottom half to take the lead. Ichiro Suzuki reached base on an infield single, moved to second on Chris Stewart's groundout and raced home on Jeter's single to right-center field. Jeter went to second on the throw home and scored on Swisher's single to left-center field. After Jones hit a two-run homer just inside the left-field foul pole, Casey McGehee hit a fly ball to right that was dropped by Mike Olt. Martin added an RBI single off Scheppers to make it 5-4.
The Rangers quickly answered with three runs during their next at-bat to go back in front. Young led off with a base hit, moved to second on Beltre's single and scored on Murphy's double down the right-field line. Joba Chamberlain intentionally walked Moreland to load the bases. Gentry's two-run single up the middle gave Texas a 7-5 edge.
New York, though, kept it close by scoring a run in the home half. With the bases loaded and one out, Teixeira beat out a double play at first to plate a run.
The Rangers continued the back-and-forth battle in the eighth. Andrus doubled down the right-field line, moved to third on Swisher's fielding error and scored on Beltre's sacrifice fly. Murphy and Soto followed with consecutive singles to plate another run, making it 9-6.
Andrus' RBI single in the ninth accounted for the final margin.
"This shows the character of this team, we just keep battling, and no matter what the game is not over until it is over," Gentry said. "We just kept plugging away, and kept punching and we were able to get a great team win."
The Yankees went 4-3 against the Rangers this season ... New York was trying for its ninth series sweep of the season ... Suzuki went 3-for-3 for the Yankees, who hit 3-for-10 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven ... Scheppers was charged with one run on two hits ... Texas had 16 hits, compared to 10 for New York.
- TEXAS: 10
NEW YORK: 6
Aug 16 4:41 PM
- Elvis Andrus single to left scored Nelson Cruz with one out. Runner on first with one out and Michael Young due up.
Rangers 10, Yankees 6 Top 9, 1 OutAug 16 4:31 PM
- Geovany Soto single to left scored Josh Hamilton with two outs. On the play, David Murphy advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 9, Yankees 6 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 16 4:04 PM
- Adrian Beltre sacrifice fly to left scored Elvis Andrus with two outs. Runner on first with two outs and David Murphy due up.
Rangers 8, Yankees 6 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 16 4:01 PM
- Mark Teixeira grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Raul Ibanez with two outs. Nick Swisher out at second, Derek Jeter advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Andruw Jones due up.
Rangers 7, Yankees 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 16 3:50 PM
- Craig Gentry single to center scored Adrian Beltre and David Murphy with two outs. On the play, Mitch Moreland advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Mike Olt due up.
Rangers 7, Yankees 5 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 16 3:29 PM
- David Murphy double to right scored Michael Young with one out. On the play, Adrian Beltre advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Geovany Soto due up.
Rangers 5, Yankees 5 Top 7, 1 OutAug 16 3:21 PM
- Russell Martin single to center scored Casey McGehee with two outs. Runner on first with two outs and Jayson Nix due up.
Rangers 4, Yankees 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 16 3:04 PM
- Andruw Jones two-out, two-run Home Run (13) to left scored Nick Swisher. Casey McGehee due up.
Rangers 4, Yankees 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 16 2:57 PM
- Nick Swisher single to center scored Derek Jeter with one out. Runner on first with one out and Mark Teixeira due up.
Rangers 4, Yankees 2 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 16 2:53 PM
- Derek Jeter single to center scored Ichiro Suzuki with one out. On the play, Jeter advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with one out and Nick Swisher due up.
Rangers 4, Yankees 1 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 16 2:52 PM
- Craig Gentry grounded into a fielder's choice, short to third scoring Adrian Beltre with two outs. On the play, Mitch Moreland advances to second and David Murphy out at third. Runners on first and second with two outs and Mike Olt due up.
Rangers 4, Yankees 0 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 16 2:40 PM
- David Murphy single to center scored Josh Hamilton with none out . On the play, Adrian Beltre advances to second. Runners on first and second and Geovany Soto due up.
Rangers 3, Yankees 0 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 16 2:34 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to center scored Michael Young and Josh Hamilton with two outs. On the play, Beltre out at second, center to first to second. None on and David Murphy due up.
Rangers 2, Yankees 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 16 1:15 PM
- TEXAS: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 16 1:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22