Rays edge YankeesSep 15, 2012 - 5:48 AM
Price (18-5) allowed two runs on five hits with two walks and six strikeouts in his first start since Sept. 2, while Fernando Rodney recorded the final five outs to notch his 43rd save of the season.
Desmond Jennings, Ben Zobrist and Elliot Johnson had an RBI apiece for the Rays, who managed just six total runs in their previous series -- a three-game sweep at the hands of the Baltimore Orioles.
With Friday's win, Tampa Bay pulled within three games of New York and Baltimore for the final AL Wild Card spot.
"We played better offensively, that's what it came down to," said Rays manager Joe Maddon. "We've been pitching well enough to win games. We finally got the hits."
CC Sabathia (13-6) gave up four runs on six hits over 6 2/3 innings and dropped his third straight decision. His last win came on Aug. 24 at Cleveland.
"I'm just not making pitches," Sabathia said. "Tonight I had two strikes a couple of times and I couldn't make the pitch to get out of the inning."
Alex Rodriguez belted a two-run, eighth-inning homer for the Yankees and Curtis Granderson had a leadoff shot in the fifth. Derek Jeter went 2-for-5 and passed Willie Mays for sole possession of 10th place on the all-time hits list.
New York and Baltimore, which fell to the Oakland Athletics on Friday, remain tied for the AL East lead.
Upton's leadoff shot gave the Rays a 5-2 lead in the eighth, but Jeter began the bottom half with a single and Rodriguez followed with a one-out homer to deep left.
After a walk to Robinson Cano, Joel Peralta was relieved by Rodney, who fanned Russell Martin and walked pinch-hitter Raul Ibanez before grounding out Granderson to end the inning.
The Rays added insurance in the ninth when Jennings ripped a one-out single off Joba Chamberlain, stole second base and crossed the plate on Evan Longoria's two-out grounder, which rolled under the glove of shortstop Eduardo Nunez.
"The error was a big play at the end," said Maddon. "It gave us a lift psychologically."
The Yankees, who went down in order in the home half -- ending when Derek Jeter fanned swinging -- grabbed a 1-0 lead in the second inning courtesy of Steve Pearce's two-out, RBI single.
The Rays, though, responded with a three-run fifth, which began with a double by Chris Gimenez.
A wild pitch and a walk by Sabathia followed, placing runners on the corners, before Johnson and Jennings delivered consecutive RBI base hits. After a wild pitch advanced both runners and a walk to Zobrist loaded the bases, Longoria plated Johnson with a double-play grounder for a 3-1 lead.
Granderson hit his 38th homer of the season in the bottom half, but Tampa Bay tacked on another run in the seventh when Johnson scored from second base on Zobrist's two-out single up the middle.
Price missed his previous start with a sore shoulder. He improved to 7-3 in 18 career games -- 17 starts -- versus New York ... The Yankees have lost each of Sabathia's last four starts ... Jeter upped his career total to 3,285 hits.
- TAMPA BAY: 6
NEW YORK: 4
Sep 14 10:33 PM
- Evan Longoria reached first on Eduardo Nunez's fielding error scoring Desmond Jennings with two out. Runner on first and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 6, Yankees 4 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 14 10:25 PM
- Alex Rodriguez one-out, two-run Home Run (18) to left scored Derek Jeter. Robinson Cano due up.
Rays 5, Yankees 4 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 14 9:58 PM
- B.J. Upton lead-off Home Run (23) to left center. Jeff Keppinger due up.
Rays 5, Yankees 2 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 14 9:38 PM
- Ben Zobrist single to center scored Elliot Johnson with two out. Runner on first and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 4, Yankees 2 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 14 9:22 PM
- Curtis Granderson lead-off Home Run (38) to right center. Steve Pearce due up.
Rays 3, Yankees 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 14 8:48 PM
- Evan Longoria grounded into a double play, third to first scoring Elliot Johnson with two out. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to second and Desmond Jennings out at third. Runner on second with B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 3, Yankees 1 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 14 8:43 PM
- Desmond Jennings single to center scored Carlos Pena with none out. On the play, Elliot Johnson advances to second. Runners on first and second with Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 2, Yankees 1 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 14 8:36 PM
- Elliot Johnson single to right scored Chris Gimenez with none out. On the play, Carlos Pena advances to second. Runners on first and second with Desmond Jennings due up.
Rays 1, Yankees 1 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 14 8:35 PM
- Steve Pearce single to center scored Russell Martin with two out. Runner on first and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Rays 0, Yankees 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 14 7:53 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 14 7:10 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21