Ka'aihue lifts A's over Rangers in extrasMay 17, 2012 - 11:39 PM
Jonny Gomes reached on an infield single to start the 10th and pinch-hitter Daric Barton followed two batters later with a base hit before Ka'aihue scorched a single to right off of Mike Adams (0-2), plating Gomes from third to give the A's a one-run advantage.
Ryan Cook (1-0) got his first major league victory after tossing two scoreless innings in relief while Brian Fuentes recorded his third save of the year for retiring the Rangers in the bottom of the 10th as Oakland snapped a two-game skid.
"Everybody, for the most part, gets in the game," said A's manager Bob Melvin. "We got contributions from the starter, the bullpen, guys off the bench. It was a great team win."
Josh Reddick belted a solo shot for Oakland, while Mitch Moreland went deep twice for the Rangers, who have lost three of their last four games.
Oakland struck quickly in the first as Cliff Pennington and Reddick stroked consecutive one-out singles before Gomes followed with a double into left field to score Pennington for a 1-0 lead.
Kurt Suzuki then followed suit, ripping a double into the gap in left-center field to score Reddick and Gomes for a 3-0 advantage.
After Mike Napoli ripped a one-out single in the fourth, Moreland slapped a two-run shot the other way to bring the Rangers within 3-2.
"I just tried to look for something up," remarked Moreland. "I was able to barrel a couple of balls and hit them pretty good."
Moreland's second homer of the day tied the game at 3-3 in the bottom of the sixth before the Rangers took the lead later in the frame.
Craig Gentry doubled and Ian Kinsler singled before Elvis Andrus attempted a suicide-squeeze. Andrus popped up the bunt and Brandon McCarthy made a diving effort off the mound, but home plate umpire Laz Diaz ruled that McCarthy trapped the ball, allowing Gentry to score and Andrus to reach first safely as the Rangers took a 4-3 lead.
Oakland then tied the game in the seventh on Reddick's tenth home run of the season before Ka'aihue put the A's ahead for good in the 10th.
Cook has thrown 19.2 scoreless innings to start the season, setting a franchise record for most scoreless innings to start a season. Jim Corsi held the previous record for tossing 18.1 scoreless innings from April 27-June 5, 1995...Texas center fielder Josh Hamilton had his 16-game hit streak snapped as he went 0-for-2 off the bench...Melvin was ejected in the sixth for arguing the call on Andrus' bunt.
- OAKLAND: 5
May 17 5:38 PM
- Kila Ka'aihue singled to right scoring Jonny Gomes. On the play, Daric Barton advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Adam Rosales due up.
Athletics 5, Rangers 4 Top 10, 1 OutMay 17 5:26 PM
- Josh Reddick one-out, solo Home Run (10) to right-center. Jonny Gomes is due up.
Athletics 4, Rangers 4 Top 7, 1 OutMay 17 4:23 PM
- Elvis Andrus bunt single to the pitcher scored Craig Gentry. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Michael Young due up.
Athletics 3, Rangers 4 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 17 4:10 PM
- Mitch Moreland one-out, solo Home Run 2 (6) to right. Craig Gentry is due up.
Athletics 3, Rangers 3 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 17 4:04 PM
- Mitch Moreland one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Mike Napoli. Craig Gentry is due up.
Athletics 3, Rangers 2 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 17 3:26 PM
- Kurt Suzuki doubled to center scoring Josh Reddick and Jonny Gomes. Runner on second with one out and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 3, Rangers 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 17 2:19 PM
- Jonny Gomes doubled to left scoring Cliff Pennington. On the play, Josh Reddick advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Athletics 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 17 2:17 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 17 2:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22