Shields, Rays blank A'sAug 1, 2012 - 6:24 AM
With the 11 Ks, Shields (9-7) became the first pitcher in team history to strike out 10 or more hitters in three consecutive starts. He allowed just three hits and did not issue a walk in the victory for the Rays, their third in the last four games.
"He had a real simple approach to the game and came out throwing fastballs," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "It was textbook, he was outstanding. I loved his approach today. Throw your fastball and hit your spots."
B.J. Upton finished 2-for-5 with a pair of RBI while Desmond Jennings and Jeff Keppinger added RBI base hits for the Rays. Ben Zobrist, Carlos Pena and Sean Rodriguez each contributed an RBI in the win.
Jemile Weeks, George Kottaras and Chris Carter each had a hit in defeat for the A's, who finished the month of July with an outstanding 19-5 record. They didn't have a runner reach second base all night.
Tom Milone (9-8) was tagged with the loss after allowing five runs on seven hits and a walk over six innings.
"He just probably didn't have his best command," Athletics manager Bob Melvin said about Milone. "I think we probably have to cut him a break. He's been so good here that you're not always going to be that good."
Tampa Bay struck with a pair of runs in the third. Jose Lobaton got things started with a double into the right field corner and Sam Fuld ripped a base hit into right. Upton knocked home Fuld with a single two batters later and stole second before scoring on a groundout by Zobrist.
The Rays extended their lead to 5-0 with three more runs in the sixth. Upton and Zobrist laced consecutive singles to set the table for Keppinger, who drove in Upton with a base hit into left. Pena brought home Zobrist with a sacrifice fly and Rodriguez plated Keppinger with a sharp line drive into center field.
Fuld ripped a one-out single in the Tampa Bay seventh, but was erased on a fielder's choice which left Jennings on first base with two down. The Rays young left fielder then stole second and scored when Upton reached on an error by A's shortstop Brandon Hicks, extending the lead to 6-0.
The Rays added two more runs in the ninth inning. Matt Joyce started the frame with a rocket into the left-center field gap for a double and scored via a base hit by Jennings, who then came around to cross the plate on a fielder's choice by Upton.
Milone had been terrific in front of the home crowd, going 5-1 over his last eight home starts entering play on Tuesday. Despite the loss, the A's finished with the best July record by an American League team since the Yankees went 23-6 (.793) in 1956...Shields improved to 5-3 in 12 career starts against Oakland...It was the Rays' 10th shutout of the season...Oakland did not have any opportunities with runners in scoring position and left just two on base.
- TAMPA BAY: 8
Aug 1 12:45 AM
- B.J. Upton reached first on a fielder's choice, short to second that scored Jose Lobaton with one out. Desmond Jennings out at second as Sam Fuld advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 8, Athletics 0 Top 9, 1 OutAug 1 12:35 AM
- Desmond Jennings single to left scored Matt Joyce with none out. On the play, Sam Fuld advanced to second and Jose Lobaton advanced to third. Bases loaded and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 7, Athletics 0 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 1 12:30 AM
- B.J. Upton reached first on Brandon Hicks' fielding error that scored Desmond Jennings with two out. Runner on first and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 6, Athletics 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 31 11:56 PM
- Sean Rodriguez single to center scored Jeff Keppinger with one out. Runner on first and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 5, Athletics 0 Top 6, 1 OutJul 31 11:36 PM
- Carlos Pena sacrifice fly out to center scored Ben Zobrist with one out. On the play, Jeff Keppinger advanced to second. Runner on second and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 4, Athletics 0 Top 6, 1 OutJul 31 11:33 PM
- Jeff Keppinger single to left scored B.J. Upton with none out. On the play, Ben Zobrist advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Carlos Pena due up.
Rays 3, Athletics 0 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 31 11:30 PM
- Ben Zobrist ground out second to first scored Desmond Jennings with two out. On the play, B.J. Upton advanced to third. Runner on third and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Rays 2, Athletics 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 31 10:49 PM
- B.J. Upton single to left scored Sam Fuld with one out. On the play, Desmond Jennings advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 1, Athletics 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 31 10:46 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Jul 31 10:10 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22