Blue Jays edge A'sAug 6, 2012 - 1:18 AM
Anthony Gose and Kelly Johnson each had two hits and drove in a run for the Blue Jays, who have won two straight after dropping six in a row. Rajai Davis had two hits and scored twice.
Aaron Laffey (3-2) earned the win after giving up four runs on six hits with four strikeouts over six innings.
Casey Janssen worked around a one-out walk to earn his 14th save of the season.
Josh Reddick hit a three-run homer and Coco Crisp and Derek Norris each drove in a run for the A's, losers in four of their last six games.
Tommy Milone (9-9) was saddled with the loss after allowing all six runs on nine hits over six frames. He struck out four and issued one walk -- an intentional free pass in the fifth. Milone has walked one or fewer batters in each of his last nine starts.
"I couldn't get that one big pitch that I needed," said Milone. "I was leaving balls up over the plate and they were capitalizing on them. Just try to forget about it and move on to the next one."
With a runner on first and one out in the ninth, Jemile Weeks ripped a line drive down the third base line but Yan Gomes snared the ball and fired to first, doubling off pinch-runner Eric Sogard to complete the game-ending double play.
Toronto wasted no time and took a 1-0 lead in the first. Davis doubled to left and then scored on a Gose sacrifice bunt. Davis broke for third before Gose put the bunt down and never stopped. As Norris threw to first for the force out, Davis rounded third and scored.
Oakland knotted it up in the third. Brandon Inge singled before scoring on Norris' double to left-center.
The A's tacked on three more in the third to go up 4-1. Weeks walked and Jonny Gomes singled before Josh Reddick clobbered a homer to right.
But the Blue Jays added two in the fourth and three in the fifth to take a 6-4 lead.
In the fourth, Gose singled before Encarnacion lifted a homer to left-center. The homer cleared the fence by a few feet, but it was inches from being caught by Coco Crisp, who scaled the fence in an attempt to rob Encarnacion of his 29th homer.
"We had been struggling the last couple of games," Encarnacion said. "I hit that homer and we started getting some emotion and swinging the bats better."
With two outs in the fifth, Davis singled to left and Gose doubled to put runners on second and third. Encarnacion was intentionally walked and Yunel Escobar made the A's pay with a single to plate Davis and Gose. Johnson followed with a single to score Encarnacion, who moved to third on Escobar's base hit.
Oakland added one in the seventh on Crisp's RBI double.
Encarnacion and Moises Sierra also had two hits for Toronto...The Blue Jays improve to 93-98 at Oakland...The A's are 18-35 when opponents score first and 20-16 in series finales...Milone hasn't won a start since July 14.
- TORONTO: 6
Aug 5 7:05 PM
- Coco Crisp double to right scored Adam Rosales with two out. Runner on second and Jonny Gomes due up.
Blue Jays 6, Athletics 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 5 6:26 PM
- Kelly Johnson singled to left scored Edwin Encarnacion. On the play, Yunel Escobar advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jeff Mathis due up.
Blue Jays 6, Athletics 4 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 5 5:37 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion none-out, two-run Home Run (29) to center scored Anthony Gose. Yunel Escobar due up.
Blue Jays 3, Athletics 4 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 5 5:09 PM
- Josh Reddick one-out, three-run Home Run (24) to right scored Jemile Weeks and Jonny Gomes. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Blue Jays 1, Athletics 4 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 5 4:59 PM
- Derek Norris doubled to center scored Brandon Inge. Runner on second with two outs and Adam Rosales due up.
Blue Jays 1, Athletics 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 5 4:42 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion grounded out pitcher to first. None on with two outs and Yunel Escobar due up.
Blue Jays 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 5 4:13 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 5 4:09 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21