Crisp powers A's past MarinersSep 29, 2012 - 7:08 AM
Crisp clubbed a leadoff home run in the first, while Stephen Drew added a two-run shot for the A's, who hold a two-game lead over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for the final AL wild card spot.
"It starts with him all the way around," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Crisp.
Oakland also moved within three games of Texas for the top spot in the AL West after the Rangers fell to the Angels on Friday.
A.J. Griffin (7-1) allowed one run on four hits and two walks over 5 2/3 frames to help the A's earn their fifth straight victory against Seattle.
Trayvon Robinson and Michael Saunders each smacked a solo shot, while Blake Beavan (10-11) was tagged with the loss after giving up four runs -- three earned -- on four hits and two walks over 4 2/3 innings.
Crisp's leadoff blast into the seats in right-center field gave Oakland an early lead, but the M's answered in the second, as Robinson launched a two- out homer into center field to knot the game at 1-1.
Cliff Pennington started the third with a single and Drew followed two batters later with a two-run blast into right-center field to give the A's a 3-1 lead.
Oakland added to its lead in the fifth as Crisp kept the frame alive with a two-out double. Drew then walked before Yoenis Cespedes reached on shortstop Brendan Ryan's fielding error to load the bases.
Oliver Perez then entered for Beavan and uncorked a wild pitch, allowing Crisp to score from third for a 4-1 edge.
Saunders pulled the Mariners within 4-2 in the seventh when he belted the first pitch of the frame over the wall in straightaway center field, but the A's responded with four runs in the bottom half.
Pennington and Drew worked walks around a Crisp infield single to load the bases with no outs. Seattle reliever Stephen Pryor then took over on the mound and walked Cespedes to score Pennington.
After Brandon Moss popped out to shortstop, Josh Reddick slapped a grounder to second baseman Dustin Ackley, who fired wide of the plate to allow Crisp to score.
Josh Donaldson then scorched a single back up the middle to plate a pair as the A's grabbed an 8-2 lead.
Jerry Blevins blanked the M's in the eighth and Jim Miller worked a scoreless ninth to secure the victory.
"We have to play a complete ball game," said Mariners manager Eric Wedge.
The Mariners have now homered in 17 straight games ... Crisp's homer was his 4th leadoff blast of the season ... Oakland hosts Texas for three games to close out the regular season ...Seattle went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position and left eight on base.
- SEATTLE: 2
Sep 29 1:07 AM
- Hector Noesi enters the game for the Mariners with runners on first and second with one out.
Mariners 2, Athletics 8 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 29 12:38 AM
- Josh Reddick grounded into a fielder's choice to second. On the play, Dustin Ackley's throwing error scored Coco Crisp. Yoenis Cespedes advances to second and Stephen Drew advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Josh Donaldson due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 6 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 29 12:35 AM
- Yoenis Cespedes's none out, bases loaded walk scored Cliff Pennington. Bases loaded with none out and Brandon Moss due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 29 12:32 AM
- Trayvon Robinson bunt ground out to first. None on with one out and Brendan Ryan due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 4 Top 7, 1 OutSep 29 12:09 AM
- Brandon Moss grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Mariners 1, Athletics 4 End 5Sep 28 11:41 PM
- Stephen Drew one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Cliff Pennington. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Mariners 1, Athletics 3 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 28 10:56 PM
- Trayvon Robinson two-out, solo Home Run (3) to center. Brendan Ryan due up.
Mariners 1, Athletics 1 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 28 10:37 PM
- Coco Crisp lead-off Home Run (11) to right. Stephen Drew due up.
Mariners 0, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 28 10:21 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 28 10:07 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21