Cespedes, Athletics sweep MarinersOct 1, 2012 - 4:27 AM
Cespedes added an RBI triple for the Athletics, who are two games behind the AL West-leading Texas Rangers. The teams close out the season with a three- game set against each other in Oakland.
"This last series is going to be pretty big for us. That was our goal ever since the start of the season," Athletics starting pitcher Tommy Milone said. "Obviously you want to win the division, you don't want to hope for the wild card spot."
Oakland is three games ahead of Los Angeles for the second wild card spot.
Cespedes' solo blast to left field was surrendered by Shawn Kelley (2-4) with one out in the eighth. Lucas Luetge took over on the mound for Seattle and failed to retire either of the two batters he faced.
"The A's are feeling it right now. Just huge home runs for them late in the ballgames the last couple nights," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said.
Brandon Moss singled and swiped second base before Reddick launched his 32nd homer of the season to right field.
The late power surge made a winner out of Sean Doolittle (2-1), while Grant Balfour pitched the ninth for his 22nd save.
Milone allowed two runs on nine hits in 4 2/3 innings for Oakland. His counterpart from Seattle, Erasmo Ramirez, scattered three hits, walked four and struck out six over 6 1/3 innings.
The A's scored two first-inning runs with only one hit. Stephen Drew worked a one-out walk and scored on a triple by Cespedes. Moss followed with a sacrifice fly to center field.
Seattle tied the game in the third. The Mariners opened the frame with three consecutive hits, as Franklin Gutierrez scored on a Kyle Seager single. Casper Wells, who followed Gutierrez's leadoff double with a base hit, eventually was driven home by Justin Smoak's two-out single.
The Mariners had homered in 18 straight games, one shy of the franchise record set in 1999 ... Seattle was 5-for-15 with runners in scoring position.
- SEATTLE: 2
Sep 30 7:26 PM
- Josh Reddick one-out, two-run Home Run (32) to right scored Brandon Moss. Josh Donaldson due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 5 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 30 7:11 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes one-out, solo Home Run (23) to left. Brandon Moss due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 3 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 30 7:02 PM
- Justin Smoak single to center scored Casper Wells. Runner on first with two out and Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 2 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 30 5:04 PM
- Kyle Seager single to left scored Franklin Gutierrez. On the play, Casper Wells advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Jesus Montero due up.
Mariners 1, Athletics 2 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 30 4:59 PM
- Brandon Moss sacrifice fly to center scored Yoenis Cespedes. None on with two out and Josh Reddick due up.
Mariners 0, Athletics 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 30 4:27 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes triple to right scored Stephen Drew. Runner on third with one out and Brandon Moss due up.
Mariners 0, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 30 4:26 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 30 4:08 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21