Dickey earns 20th win as Mets edge PiratesSep 28, 2012 - 12:19 AM
Wright's blast in the fifth gave the Mets the lead and allowed Dickey (20-6), who gave up three runs in 7 2/3 innings of work, to become the Mets first pitcher since Frank Viola in 1990 to win 20 games.
"To win 20 games is difficult. It's been a real grind," Dickey said. "It's a big exhale."
Ike Davis hit a solo homer and Daniel Murphy and Scott Hairston each contributed an RBI, as New York collected its sixth victory in its last seven games.
Kevin Correia (11-11) exited the game after Wright's homer, tagged for six runs on seven hits over 4 1/3 innings.
"Normally I can pick a positive out of a start, but today there basically wasn't any," Correia said.
Alex Presley made it one-run game with a two-run blast off Jon Rauch in the ninth, but Bobby Parnell retired the final two batters to earn his fifth save of the season.
The Mets trailed early after Dickey gave up back-to-back run scoring hits in the second. With runners on the corners, Rod Barajas hit a ground-rule double to score Garrett Jones and then Jordy Mercer plated another with a slow- rolling ground ball to third to make it 2-0.
New York got a run back on Davis's leadoff homer in bottom half but were denied from tying the game two batters later when Mike Baxter was robbed of a home run by Pirates right fielder Travis Snider.
Barajas added a solo homer in the fourth but Hairston knocked in a run in the home half to keep the deficit at one. An inning later, the Mets took the lead for good.
Andres Torres drew a leadoff walk, and two batters later Ruben Tejada singled to right, before Daniel Murphy smoked a single up the middle to bring Torres home from second. Wright then strolled to the plate and cleared the bases with his 21st home run to give the Mets a 5-3 lead.
Pittsburgh came up just short in its final turn at the plate. Mercer reached on a leadoff walk before Presley delivered a blast to right to make it 6-5. But Parnell got Josh Harrison to ground out and Jose Tabata to fly out to end the game.
Houston's Joe Niekro was the last knuckleballer to reach 20 wins, doing so in 1980 ... Dickey's 222 strikeouts are the most in a single season for the Mets since David Cone struck out 214 in 1992 ... Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen left the game in the seventh with discomfort in his left knee ... Pittsburgh has lost eight of its last 10 games and, at 76-80, is in danger of posting its 20th straight non-winning season.
- PITTSBURGH: 5
NEW YORK: 6
Sep 27 3:58 PM
- Alex Presley one-out, two-run Home Run (10) to right scored Jordy Mercer. Josh Harrison is due up.
Pirates 5, Mets 6 Top 9, 1 OutSep 27 3:51 PM
- David Wright one-out, three-run Home Run (21) to right-center scored Ruben Tejada and Daniel Murphy. Ike Davis is due up.
Pirates 3, Mets 6 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 27 2:45 PM
- Daniel Murphy singled to center scoring Andres Torres. On the play, Ruben Tejada advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and David Wright due up.
Pirates 3, Mets 3 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 27 2:42 PM
- Scott Hairston singled to right scoring Daniel Murphy. On the play, David Wright advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Mike Baxter due up.
Pirates 3, Mets 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 27 2:22 PM
- Rod Barajas one-out, solo Home Run (11) to left. Jordy Mercer is due up.
Pirates 3, Mets 1 Top 4, 1 OutSep 27 2:07 PM
- Ike Davis lead-off Home Run (31) to right-center. Scott Hairston is due up.
Pirates 2, Mets 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 27 1:42 PM
- Jordy Mercer's infield single to third scored Travis Snider. On the play, Rod Barajas advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Kevin Correia due up.
Pirates 2, Mets 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 27 1:32 PM
- Rod Barajas ground-rule double to right-center scored Garrett Jones. On the play, Travis Snider advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Jordy Mercer due up.
Pirates 1, Mets 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 27 1:30 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 27 1:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21