Kotsay helps Padres avoid sweepApr 27, 2012 - 6:42 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Pinch-hitter Mark Kotsay delivered with a two-run double in the bottom of the eighth inning, and the San Diego Padres avoided a three-game sweep with a 2-1 win over the Washington Nationals.
Washington reliever Tyler Clippard (1-2) struck out Nick Hundley to escape a bases-loaded jam in the seventh, but the right-hander couldn't protect a one- lead in the next frame.
Orlando Hudson drew a one-out walk and Cameron Maybin followed with a bunt single before Kotsay sent Clippard's offering to the gap in right-center.
"That's one of those games where a veteran, experienced hitter came up and had a good at-bat against a very talented relief pitcher," said San Diego manager Bud Black.
Nationals skipper Davey Johnson stood by his decision to stick with Clippard.
"I like my chances with Clippard out there," he said.
Huston Street pitched around a two-out single in the ninth to earn his second save of the season.
Andrew Cashner (1-1) picked up the win in relief of Edinson Volquez who limited the Nationals to three hits, walked one and struck out seven in seven innings of work. His lone blemish was a home run by Jayson Werth with one out in the seventh.
Washington starter Edwin Jackson scattered six hits, walked three and fanned six in 6 2/3 scoreless innings.
Despite finishing 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position, the Padres won for the third time in their last five games.
Washington had its winning streak snapped at four games.
No Nationals/Expos team has swept a series in San Diego since July 7-10, 1994, a four-game set...The Padres had lost five in a row at home to the Nationals.
- WASHINGTON: 1
SAN DIEGO: 2
Apr 27 12:47 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Mark Kotsay doubled to right center scored Orlando Hudson and Cameron Maybin. Runner on second with one out and Andy Parrino due up.
Nationals 1, Padres 2 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 27 12:30 AM
- Jayson Werth one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left center. Rick Ankiel due up.
Nationals 1, Padres 0 Top 7, 1 OutApr 26 11:52 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 26 10:07 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22