Greene lifts Cardinals over PadresMay 22, 2012 - 4:25 AM
A two-run double from Jesus Guzman in the top of the eighth gave the Padres a one-run edge, but St. Louis battled back in the bottom half as Yadier Molina singled with one out and Greene launched the first pitch he saw from reliever Andrew Cashner (2-3) over the wall in center.
"Great to come through for the team like this," remarked Greene. "I was real excited out there for that moment."
Jason Motte (3-1), who surrendered the double to Guzman, then retired the Padres in order in the ninth to record the victory.
Greene finished with three hits while Rafael Furcal and Matt Carpenter each knocked in a run for the Cardinals, who snapped a four-game skid.
San Diego starter Clayton Richard tossed 7 1/3 innings of two-run ball before handing the ball to Cashner with one out in the eighth. The Padres had won two straight.
"I made a good pitch and he put a good swing on it," said Cashner about Greene's homer. "You just have to tip your cap and go home."
San Diego jumped in front in the second as Yonder Alonso singled to start the frame and later crossed home on a sacrifice fly from Nick Hundley.
The Cardinals got on the board in the seventh when Greene slapped a leadoff single and Jaime Garcia followed two batters later with a base hit of his own.
A single from Furcal plated Greene before Garcia touched home on a groundout from Carpenter to give the Cardinals a 2-1 edge.
San Diego regained the lead in the eighth as Chris Denorfia doubled off of Garcia to start the inning and quickly moved to third on a ground out.
Alonso then worked a walk off Mitchell Boggs before Motte took the bump and served up Guzman's go-ahead double, but the lead was short-lived as Greene responded in the bottom half with his fourth home run of the season.
Garcia received a no-decision despite allowing just two runs on seven hits and a walk while striking out seven over seven innings over seven-plus innings...The Padres left six on base and went 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position...The Cardinals finished 2-for-7 with RISP and stranded seven.
- SAN DIEGO: 3
ST. LOUIS: 4
May 21 10:46 PM
- Shane Robinson flied out to right to end the inning.
Padres 3, Cardinals 4 End 8May 21 10:38 PM
- Jesus Guzman doubled to center scoring Chris Denorfia and Yonder Alonso with two out. Runner on second and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 3, Cardinals 2 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 21 10:25 PM
- Matt Carpenter grounded out second to first scoring Jaime Garcia with two out. On the play, Rafael Furcal advances to second. Runner on second and Matt Holliday due up.
Padres 1, Cardinals 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 21 10:01 PM
- Nick Hundley sacrifice fly out to center scored Yonder Alonso with two out. None on and Alexi Amarista due up.
Padres 1, Cardinals 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 21 8:40 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 21 8:16 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21