Hernandez stars as Mariners top PadresJun 24, 2012 - 6:46 AM
The 26-year-old Venezuelan smacked a two-run double and registered his 18th career double-digit strikeout game, tossing seven innings of one-run ball as the Seattle Mariners downed the San Diego Padres, 5-1, in the middle test of a three-game interleague series.
Hernandez (5-5) struck out 10, scattered six hits and walked one. The only run he gave up came on a balk in the first inning.
"Felix stepped up," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "We really needed him to step up tonight and he did, and got a big hit for us."
Michael Saunders had a solo homer among his two hits and scored twice for Seattle, which had lost three of four games coming in.
Jason Marquis (1-3) surrendered five runs -- two earned -- on six hits and three walks in seven innings for the Padres, who have dropped six of their last eight.
The Padres opened the scoring on Hernandez's balk, but Seattle tallied three in the second inning and plated one each in the third and fourth to surge ahead.
Seattle loaded the bases in the second after Saunders slapped a one-out single, Justin Smoak walked and Dustin Ackley reached on a fielder's choice throwing error by Logan Forsythe. There were two away following Brendan Ryan's RBI groundout before Hernandez delivered the biggest hit of the game.
He poked the first offering from Marquis down the right field line, which brought home Saunders and Smoak for a 3-1 Seattle advantage.
"I've got to do a better job of limiting the damage," Marquis said.
Saunders laced a solo shot off the right field foul pole in the third, while Ichiro Suzuki ripped an RBI single into right-center for a 5-1 Mariners margin in the fourth.
Seattle's Lucas Luetge, Brandon League and Tom Wilhelmsen allowed three hits and a walk over two shutout innings to seal the win.
Seattle was 2-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base while San Diego was 0-for-7 with RISP and stranded eight...Hernandez threw 64 of his 94 pitches for strikes.
- SEATTLE: 5
SAN DIEGO: 1
Jun 24 12:59 AM
- Ichiro Suzuki singled to right center scored Dustin Ackley. Runner on first with two outs and Franklin Gutierrez due up.
Mariners 5, Padres 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 23 11:17 PM
- Michael Saunders two-out, solo Home Run (8) to right. Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 4, Padres 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 23 10:55 PM
- Felix Hernandez doubled to right scored Justin Smoak and Dustin Ackley. Runner on second with two outs and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Mariners 3, Padres 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 23 10:40 PM
- Brendan Ryan grounded out short to first scored Michael Saunders. On the play, Dustin Ackley advances to second and Justin Smoak advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Felix Hernandez due up.
Mariners 1, Padres 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 23 10:40 PM
- Felix Hernandez one-out, balk scored Carlos Quentin, Chase Headley advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Carlos Quentin at the plate.
Mariners 0, Padres 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 23 10:26 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 23 10:08 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22