Giants crush Cardinals, 15-0Aug 9, 2012 - 5:19 AM
Vogelsong (10-5) scattered three hits and three walks over seven scoreless frames while lowering his National League-leading earned run average to 2.27.
"I was trying to pitch like it was 0-0 the whole time," said Vogelsong of being spotted a big lead.
Marco Scutaro powered the 15-hit affair by going 3-for-6 with seven RBI, including a gland slam in the ninth inning to put an exclamation point on the laugher.
In Vogelsong's outing last Friday, the Giants rolled to a 16-4 win over the Rockies and have now scored double digits three times during a 5-1 stretch.
Joe Kelly (2-5) surrendered seven runs -- four earned -- on nine hits over five-plus innings for St. Louis, which had won seven straight at home before dropping the last two.
"We have to have a short memory of this one and look forward to getting back out here tomorrow," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said.
The Cardinals came in with the most runs scored in the NL, but the Giants looked like offensive powerhouse in the third installment of this four-game series.
Run-scoring singles by Hunter Pence in the first inning and Scutaro in the third gave the Giants an early lead that ballooned to 7-0 in the sixth.
The first six hitters in the frame reached base, starting with Melky Cabrera's leadoff double. Cabrera scored two batters later on another RBI base hit by Pence, and two came around on Tyler Greene's fielding error.
Barret Browning relieved Kelly and yielded an RBI single to Brandon Crawford and a sacrifice fly to Angel Pagan to cap the five-run inning.
Brian Fuentes surrendered four runs in the eighth, which was highlighted by a bases-loaded double by Scutaro that brought home Crawford and Brett Pill.
Scutaro took Mitchell Boggs over the left-field wall in the ninth for his third career grand slam.
Vogelsong has pitched at least six innings in his last 21 starts, the longest such streak by a Giants pitcher since Bill Swift (24 starts) in 1993...Giants catcher Buster Posey went 1-for-2 with three walks and is riding a 12-game hitting streak...Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina had his 11-game hitting streak snapped.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 15
ST. LOUIS: 0
Aug 8 11:37 PM
- Marco Scutaro one-out, Grand Slam (5) to left scored Ryan Theriot, Brandon Crawford and Angel Pagan. Gregor Blanco due up.
Giants 15, Cardinals 0 Top 9, 1 OutAug 8 11:19 PM
- Buster Posey walked. Runners on first and second with one out and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 11, Cardinals 0 Top 8, 1 OutAug 8 10:53 PM
- Marco Scutaro doubled to left scoring Brandon Crawford and Brett Pill with none out. On the play, Angel Pagan advances to third. Runners on second and third and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 10, Cardinals 0 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 8 10:50 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Brett Pill singled to short scoring Ryan Theriot with none out. On the play, Brandon Crawford advances to second. Runners on first and second and Angel Pagan due up.
Giants 8, Cardinals 0 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 8 10:46 PM
- Angel Pagan sacrifice fly out to center scored Ryan Theriot with two out. Runner on second and Marco Scutaro due up.
Giants 7, Cardinals 0 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 8 10:05 PM
- Brandon Crawford singled to left scoring Brandon Belt with none out. On the play, Ryan Theriot advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ryan Vogelsong due up.
Giants 6, Cardinals 0 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 8 10:00 PM
- Hunter Pence singled to center scoring Melky Cabrera with none out. On the play, Buster Posey advances to second. Runners on first and second and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 3, Cardinals 0 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 8 9:53 PM
- Marco Scutaro singled to right scoring Angel Pagan with none out. Runner on first and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 2, Cardinals 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 8 8:55 PM
- Hunter Pence singled to left scoring Melky Cabrera with two out. On the play, Buster Posey advances to second. Runners on first and second and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 1, Cardinals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 8 8:26 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 8 8:17 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21