Young lifts Rangers over MarinersApr 12, 2012 - 11:05 PM
Ian Kinsler went 3-for-4 with three runs scored and an RBI for the Rangers, who went 5-2 on a seven-game homestand.
"You always feed off the guys in front of you," said Young. "Kinsler has been doing a great job of getting on base this entire homestand."
Derek Holland (1-0) gave up two runs on five hits in 7 1/3 innings to pick up the win. He fanned eight while improving to 6-1 lifetime against Seattle in 11 games (seven starts).
Kyle Seager hit a solo homer for the Mariners, who lost three of the four games in the series. Miguel Olivo and Alex Liddi each knocked in a run.
Jason Vargas (1-1) allowed four runs on seven hits in 6 2/3 innings to take the loss. He struck out six and walked one.
"Their guy [Holland] threw a good ballgame," said Mariners manager Eric Wedge.
The Rangers jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first. Kinsler started the frame with a single, stole second and crossed the plate on Young's single up the middle.
Young helped Texas increase its lead in the fifth. With two outs and Kinsler on first, Young hit a homer over the wall in right for a 3-0 margin.
The Mariners got a run back in the sixth. Brendan Ryan led off with a double, advanced to third on Chone Figgins' groundout and scored on Liddi's single to left.
Seager's homer to right in the seventh made it a 3-2 contest.
But Texas scored two runs in the bottom half of the frame. Yorvit Torrealba doubled and crossed the plate on Kinsler's two-out double. Young followed with an RBI single to center for a 5-2 lead.
Mike Adams gave up a run-scoring double to Olivo in the ninth, but got pinch- hitter Michael Saunders to ground out for the final out. Adams picked up his first save of the season.
Texas went 15-4 against Seattle last year...Kinsler and Young each had three hits...Each team stranded five runners.
- SEATTLE: 3
Apr 12 4:42 PM
- Miguel Olivo doubled to right scoring Jesus Montero with two out. Runner on second and Casper Wells due up.
Mariners 3, Rangers 5 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 12 4:40 PM
- Michael Young singled to center scoring Ian Kinsler with two out. Runner on first and Josh Hamilton due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 12 4:07 PM
- Ian Kinsler doubled to left scoring Yorvit Torrealba with two out. Runner on second and Michael Young due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 12 4:06 PM
- Kyle Seager one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Miguel Olivo due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 3 Top 7, 1 OutApr 12 3:54 PM
- Alex Liddi singled to left scoring Brendan Ryan with one out. Runner on first and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Mariners 1, Rangers 3 Top 6, 1 OutApr 12 3:40 PM
- Michael Young two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Ian Kinsler. Josh Hamilton due up.
Mariners 0, Rangers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 12 3:30 PM
- Michael Young singled to center scoring Ian Kinsler with none out. On the throw, Young advances to second. Runner on second and Josh Hamilton due up.
Mariners 0, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 12 2:20 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 12 2:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21