Second-inning burst enough to send Rays past M'sMay 4, 2012 - 12:07 AM
The Rays have won 11 of their last 12 games overall and eight straight against the Mariners.
Jeff Niemann (2-3) picked up the win despite allowing three runs on seven hits and two walks in 5 2/3 innings, while Fernando Rodney worked around an error in the ninth inning to get his ninth save.
Kevin Millwood (0-3) dropped his third straight start for Seattle after giving up four runs on seven hits and two walks in 6 1/3 innings.
The Mariners lost six in a row to finish 4-6 on a 10-game road trip.
"Tough ball games. Tough losses," said Mariners manager Eric Wedge. "We're just not doing enough to take back innings and get leads back."
Seattle took a 2-0 lead in the second inning sparked by Kyle Seager's leadoff walk and John Jaso's double. Seager scored on Mike Carp's ground out and Jaso came home on Justin Smoak's single.
But the Rays went ahead 4-2 in the bottom of the inning with a two-out rally.
Keppinger homered to left field to score Will Rhymes, who had singled, and Chris Gimenez and Sean Rodriguez followed with back-to-back hits. Jennings knocked both runners in with a triple past Ichiro Suzuki in right field.
"Keppinger's homer was big, obviously, in that moment," remarked Rays manager Joe Maddon. "That got us going in the right direction."
Dustin Ackley and Suzuki hit back-to-back doubles in the fifth inning to get the Mariners within 4-3. Ackley scored on Suzuki's hit down the line and into the right field corner.
Carp reached on Rodriguez's error at third base leading off the ninth inning but was retired on a double play ground ball by Michael Saunders to end the game.
The Rays will continue a seven-game homestand Friday with the opener of a weekend series against Oakland...The Mariners will open a six-game homestand Friday against the Twins.
- SEATTLE: 3
TAMPA BAY: 4
May 3 4:09 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki doubled to right scored Dustin Ackley. Runner on second with two outs and Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 3, Rays 4 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 3 2:49 PM
- Carlos Pena walked. Runners on first and third with two outs and Matt Joyce due up.
Mariners 2, Rays 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 3 1:57 PM
- Jeff Keppinger two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Will Rhymes. Chris Gimenez due up.
Mariners 2, Rays 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 3 1:47 PM
- Justin Smoak singled to center scored John Jaso. Runner on first with one out and Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 2, Rays 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 3 1:35 PM
- Mike Carp grounded out second to pitcher scored Kyle Seager. On the play, John Jaso advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 1, Rays 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 3 1:35 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 3 1:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21