Hernandez powers Mariners over RangersMay 22, 2012 - 6:09 AM
Hernandez (4-3) scattered six hits and walked two while fanning seven. Ichiro Suzuki and Jesus Montero knocked in two runs apiece and Dustin Ackley also plated a run as the Mariners won their fourth straight contest.
Yu Darvish (6-2) allowed five runs -- four earned -- on just four hits, but walked a career-high six batters over four full frames, marking the shortest outing of his brief major league career.
"He had good velocity. He just didn't throw the ball in the strike zone. It's one loss, we'll move on," Rangers manager Ron Washington said about Darvish. "You just need to take it, move on and learn what you can."
Mitch Moreland provided the offense with his solo blast in the eighth, but the Rangers lost for the third time in five tries.
Seattle jumped in front in their first at-bat as Michael Saunders worked a one-out walk and trotted home on Suzuki's triple into the right-field corner.
The Mariners tacked on three more in the third after Brendan Ryan singled to start the inning and Ackley worked a walk.
Suzuki followed two batters later with a flare into shallow left-center field to score Ackley and Saunders before moving to third on Josh Hamilton's throw that wound up in the seats on the third-base line.
Montero then launched a sac fly to center field to score Suzuki and put the Mariners on top 4-0.
Darvish walked the bases loaded in the fourth before Ackley singled to make it a five-run difference.
Seattle added a run in the seventh when Kyle Seager worked a two-walk before scoring on Montero's double to left to make it a 6-0 contest.
Moreland ended Hernandez's shutout bid with a leadoff blast in the top of the eighth to bring the Rangers within 6-1, but Tom Wilhelmsen closed the door with a perfect ninth.
"It's not easy against this lineup," said Hernandez. "(I was) just making good adjustments, the ball was down in the zone, I was pounding the strike zone and the sinker was pretty good."
Darvish has allowed nine earned runs in two starts against the Mariners, while allowing just 10 earned runs in his seven starts against the rest of the league...The Rangers placed pitcher Neftali Feliz on the 15-day disabled list on Monday with right elbow inflammation...The Rangers won three of four at home versus the Mariners from April 9-12.
- TEXAS: 1
May 22 12:59 AM
- Ian Kinsler singled to left. Runner on first with none out and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 1, Mariners 6 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 22 12:39 AM
- Jesus Montero doubled to left scored Kyle Seager. Runner on second with two outs and Justin Smoak due up.
Rangers 0, Mariners 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 22 12:31 AM
- Dustin Ackley singled to right scored John Jaso. On the play, Brendan Ryan advances to second and Mike Carp advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Michael Saunders due up.
Rangers 0, Mariners 5 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 21 11:27 PM
- Jesus Montero sacrifice fly to center scored Ichiro Suzuki. Runner on first with two outs and Justin Smoak due up.
Rangers 0, Mariners 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 21 11:10 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki singled to center scored Dustin Ackley. On the play, Josh Hamilton's throwing error scored Michael Saunders, Suzuki advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Kyle Seager due up.
Rangers 0, Mariners 3 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 21 11:04 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki tripled to right scored Michael Saunders. Runner on third with one out and Kyle Seager due up.
Rangers 0, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 21 10:21 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 21 10:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21