Mariners nip Blue JaysSep 12, 2012 - 6:07 AM
Ramirez (1-2) allowed two runs on six hits and a walk with six strikeouts to snap a string of three consecutive no-decisions. Tom Wilhelmsen collected his 25th save of the season with a scoreless ninth inning.
"He pitched a fantastic ball game tonight," Seattle manager Eric Wedge said of his starter. "That's a good hitting ball club over there and Erasmo did a great job."
Kyle Seager went 3-for-5 with a key solo home run and an RBI single, while Michael Saunders added an RBI single among his two hits for the Mariners, who snapped a three-game skid.
Colby Rasmus, Moises Sierra and Yunel Escobar drove in runs for the Blue Jays, who had their four-game winning streak snapped.
Brandon Morrow (8-6) was tagged for four runs on 11 hits and a walk over 4 2/3 innings.
"They were just attacking early and did a good job of putting the bat on the ball," Morrow said of the M's. "The whole time I just kind of felt out of sync with my body."
Seattle jumped on top early, plating a pair of runs in its first at-bat. Dustin Ackley started the game with a double and Franklin Gutierrez singled before Seager knocked in Ackley with a base hit to left. Jesus Montero walked two batters later to load the bases with one out and Saunders laced a single to left, scoring Gutierrez.
Rasmus beat out an infield single in the Toronto first and Adam Lind singled to left with two outs. Escobar roped a single back up the middle to score Rasmus, cutting the deficit in half.
Seager laced a one-out double to left in the third and scored on a base hit up the middle by John Jaso, extending the Seattle lead to 3-1.
A sacrifice fly by Rasmus in the home portion of the inning scored Anthony Gose.
The M's widened the lead to two when Seager led off the fifth by crushing a fastball from Morrow over the wall in right field.
Rasmus ripped a ground-rule double over the wall in right to begin the Toronto eighth and went to third on a flyout by Edwin Encarnacion. A pinch-hitting Sierra then drove home Rasmus with a groundout.
Wilhelmsen allowed Rajai Davis to reach in the ninth with a two-out infield single, but came back to induce a game-ending groundout from Gose.
Entering play on Tuesday, the M's had lost 30 of their last 41 games in Toronto dating back to the 2004 season ... Montero extended his career-best hitting streak to nine games ... Seager has recorded 57 of his team-leading 81 RBI on the road ... The Blue Jays went 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position and left six on base.
- SEATTLE: 4
Sep 11 9:58 PM
- Pinch-hitter Moises Sierra's groundout from second to first scored Colby Rasmus. None on with two outs and Yunel Escobar due up.
Mariners 4, Blue Jays 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 11 9:37 PM
- John Jaso grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Jesus Montero due up.
Mariners 4, Blue Jays 2 Top 5, 1 OutSep 11 8:34 PM
- Colby Rasmus' sacrifice fly to right scored Anthony Gose. On the play, Brett Lawrie advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Mariners 3, Blue Jays 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 11 8:04 PM
- John Jaso singled off second to center scoring Kyle Seager. Runner on first with one out and Jesus Montero due up.
Mariners 3, Blue Jays 1 Top 3, 1 OutSep 11 7:51 PM
- Yunel Escobar singled to center scoring Colby Rasmus. On the play, Adam Lind was tagged out at third from center to third to end the inning.
Mariners 2, Blue Jays 1 End 1Sep 11 7:34 PM
- Michael Saunders singled to left scoring Franklin Gutierrez. On the play, John Jaso was tagged out at home from left to the catcher. Jesus Montero advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Eric Thames due up.
Mariners 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 11 7:24 PM
- John Jaso grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short. Kyle Seager out at second and Franklin Gutierrez advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jesus Montero due up.
Mariners 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 11 7:19 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 11 7:09 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21