Darvish shines as Rangers hammer MarinersSep 15, 2012 - 6:40 AM
Darvish (15-9) allowed one run on two hits and two walks. He also struck out nine to give him 205 strikeouts for the season, making him 16th rookie since 1900 to record 200 strikeouts.
Josh Hamilton homered and knocked in two runs, while Ian Kinsler also hit a home run for the AL West-leading Rangers, who have won three of their last four.
"He throws so many different pitches for strikes, when he throws strikes, that you don't know what to expect," Hamilton said about Darvish. "It's fun to watch."
Hisashi Iwakuma (6-5) surrendered two runs on seven hits and a walk through 5 1/3 innings for Seattle, which dropped two straight and six of its last nine.
"We don't quit and we are not going to hang our heads," Mariners outfielder Michael Saunders said. "Over the course of a year, things like this are going to happen."
Texas jumped out to an early lead in its first at-bat as Kinsler led off the bottom of the first inning with a ball to left-center field that was initially ruled a double off the top of the wall, but a review showed the hit struck a chair behind the wall and bounced back into the field, giving Kinsler a home run.
Hamilton gave the Rangers a 2-0 advantage in the third inning with a solo shot into the second deck in right field.
Seattle cut into its deficit in the fourth after Saunders led off the frame by working a 12-pitch walk and advanced to third on a Kyle Seager double to deep center field that bounced off the tip of Hamilton's glove.
Two batters later, Jesus Montero lifted a sacrifice fly to center field to plate Saunders before Mike Carp grounded out to first to end the inning and strand Seager at third base.
Texas would then strand a runner on second base in the fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh innings, but was able to put the game out of reach with a seven- run eighth, starting with back-to-back doubles by Andrus and Hamilton.
A pair of walks by Adrian Beltre and Michael Young would load the bases with one out, and Hamilton crossed the plate on a Dustin Ackley throwing error to home on a David Murphy grounder to second.
Geovany Soto's double off the left-field wall scored Beltre and Young before Mitch Moreland worked a walk to fill the bags again.
Following a Kinsler strikeout, Andrus cleared the bases with a triple to right-center field for a 9-1 advantage.
Saunders' leadoff home run to right-center field and Montero's RBI single in the ninth inning accounted for the final margin.
Kinsler's homer was his 17th of the season, while Hamilton recorded his 42nd ... Saunders hit his 15th home run of the year ... Darvish improved to 2-2 in four starts against Seattle ... Iwakuma fell to 0-2 in three career appearances (two starts) against the Rangers ... Texas leads the season series between the teams, 8-6.
- SEATTLE: 3
Sep 14 11:36 PM
- Jesus Montero singled to left scored Kyle Seager with one out. Runner on first and Mike Carp due up.
Mariners 3, Rangers 9 Top 9, 1 OutSep 14 11:29 PM
- Michael Saunders lead-off Home Run (15) to right center. Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 9 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 14 11:26 PM
- Elvis Andrus tripled to right scored David Murphy, Geovany Soto and Mitch Moreland with two outs. Runner on third and Josh Hamilton due up.
Mariners 1, Rangers 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 14 11:18 PM
- Geovany Soto doubled to left scored Adrian Beltre and Michael Young with one out. On the play, David Murphy advances to third. Runners on second and third and Mitch Moreland due up.
Mariners 1, Rangers 6 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 14 11:12 PM
- David Murphy reached first on Dustin Ackley's error scored Josh Hamilton with one out. On the play, Michael Young advances to second and Adrian Beltre advances to third. Bases loaded and Geovany Soto due up.
Mariners 1, Rangers 4 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 14 11:11 PM
- Josh Hamilton doubled to right scored Elvis Andrus with none out. Runner on second and Adrian Beltre due up.
Mariners 1, Rangers 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 14 10:57 PM
- Jesus Montero sacrifice fly out to center scored Michael Saunders with two outs. On the play, Kyle Seager advances to third. Runner on third and Mike Carp due up.
Mariners 1, Rangers 2 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 14 9:24 PM
- Adrian Beltre flied out to right to end the inning.
Mariners 0, Rangers 2 End 3Sep 14 9:06 PM
- Ian Kinsler lead-off Home Run (17) to left center. Elvis Andrus due up.
Mariners 0, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 14 8:22 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 14 8:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21