Lind, Blue Jays power past RaysApr 18, 2012 - 6:26 AM
Jose Bautista and Brett Lawrie each stroked solo shots for the Jays while starter Ricky Romero (2-0) tossed six-plus innings, allowing three runs on eight hits with three walks for Toronto, which has won two straight.
"We all know that it's a matter of time before everyone starts coming around," Romero said. "It's just going to keep getting better. And with our pitching, the way it's been, overall our team is looking great."
Carlos Pena smacked three hits for Tampa Bay and Matt Joyce added a solo shot.
Jeff Niemann (0-2) was touched for five runs -- two earned -- on three hits while striking out five over five-plus innings for the Rays, who have dropped six of their last eight games.
After Bautista fired a strike to catch Pena trying to stretch a single into a double in the top of the first, Bautista used his lumber in the bottom half, launching a mammoth shot into the second deck in left field for his second home run of the season and a 1-0 Toronto lead.
Toronto struck for three in the third after the first two Jays reached base on consecutive errors from third baseman Evan Longoria. J.P. Arencibia then moved to third on Kelly Johnson's fielder's choice before scoring on Bautista's sacrifice fly to left, extending Toronto's advantage to 2-0.
Lind quickly made it 4-0, as he belted a 2-2 curveball the opposite way for his first homer of the season.
The Rays got two back in the fifth as Joyce hit a one-out single and Sean Rodriguez followed with a walk. Reid Brignac and Carlos Gimenez then registered consecutive singles, scoring Joyce and Rodriguez to cut the lead in half.
Back-to-back walks found the Jays with runners on first and second to start the bottom of the sixth. After Edwin Encarnacion whiffed, Eric Thames hit a soft tapper to third but Longoria's off-balance throw missed the mark, allowing Lind to score from second as Longoria was charged with his third error of the game.
"It was an awkward night," Rays manager Joe Maddon said about Longoria's performance. "A frustrating night."
Joyce got the run back in the top of the seventh, as he lifted Romero's second offering into the seats in right field to pull the Rays within 5-3.
The Jays added a run each in the seventh and eighth for insurance as Lind plated Yunel Escobar with a single in the seventh and Lawrie launched a solo shot in the eighth to account for the final margin.
Longoria committed three errors for the first time in his career...Tampa Bay was 12-6 versus the Jays last season...Tampa Bay went 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left six men on base...Toronto finished 3-for-9 with RISP and stranded seven base runners. Wednesday's matchup features lefty David Price for the Rays against right-hander Brandon Morrow for the Jays.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
Apr 17 10:15 PM
- Brett Lawrie lead-off Home Run (2) to center. Colby Rasmus due up.
Rays 3, Blue Jays 7 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 17 10:02 PM
- Adam Lind single to left scored Yunel Escobar with two out. Adam Lind to second on the throw. Runner on second and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Rays 3, Blue Jays 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 17 9:43 PM
- Matt Joyce lead-off Home Run (2) to right center. Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 3, Blue Jays 5 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 17 9:17 PM
- Eric Thames infield single to third. Jose Bautista scored on Evan Longoria's throwing error with one out.. On the play, Adam Lind advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Brett Lawrie due up.
Rays 2, Blue Jays 5 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 17 9:09 PM
- Chris Gimenez single to short scored Sean Rodriguez with one out. Runners on first and second and Desmond Jennings due up.
Rays 2, Blue Jays 4 Top 5, 1 OutApr 17 8:29 PM
- Reid Brignac single to right scored Matt Joyce with one out. On the play, Sean Rodriguez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Gimenez due up.
Rays 1, Blue Jays 4 Top 5, 1 OutApr 17 8:27 PM
- Adam Lind two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Kelly Johnson. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Rays 0, Blue Jays 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 17 8:01 PM
- Jose Bautista sacrifice fly out to left scored J.P. Arencibia with two out. Runner on first and Adam Lind due up.
Rays 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 17 7:58 PM
- Jose Bautista two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Adam Lind due up.
Rays 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 17 7:19 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 17 7:08 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21