Rays power past Blue JaysApr 20, 2012 - 5:17 AM
Jennings also had an RBI single, Longoria finished with four RBI and Luke Scott hit a two-run double for Tampa Bay, which has won three of its last four games, including the final two of this series.
"Great to come back after losing the first night...They have a little bit of everything that can bother you," said Rays manager Joe Maddon. "So to win two out of three like we did is pretty cool."
Jeremy Hellickson (2-0) earned the win, allowing three runs -- two earned -- on six hits and three walks over 5 2/3 innings.
Adam Lind and J.P. Arencibia each hit an RBI double for the Blue Jays, while Henderson Alvarez (0-1) gave up six runs on six hits in 6 1/3 innings in the loss. Toronto fell to 6-6 on the season.
The Rays went on top for good when Jennings hit a one-out homer to left in the fifth. Ben Zobrist followed with a walk and Longoria made it 6-3 with a two- out blast to center.
"The 3-2 pitch [Alvarez made] to a hitter like Longoria, he doesn't miss those," said Arencibia, who was behind the plate.
Hellickson was relieved by Jake McGee after walking Escobar with two down in the sixth and McGee was spelled by Burke Badenhop after allowing a single to Kelly Johnson. Jose Bautista then walked to load the bases, but Lind lined out to first off of J.P. Howell to end the inning.
Tampa Bay pushed across three more in the ninth. Longoria double home Jennings and Scott followed with a two-bagger to right to score Carlos Pena and Longoria.
Brett Lawrie added an RBI groundout in the bottom half to cap the scoring.
Both teams scored a run in the first. Longoria's base hit to right scored Ben Zobrist, who reached with a single and moved to second on a walk. Yunel Escobar then led off the bottom half with a single, advanced on a wild pitch and crossed the plate on Lind's double.
Alvarez hit Matt Joyce to begin the second, then retired the next two batters before Sean Rodriguez singled to right. Joyce scored on the play, beating the throw from Bautista, which short-hopped Arencibia at the plate and struck Alvarez near the face. The righty stayed in the game, but Jennings ripped his next pitch up the middle for an RBI single and a 3-1 Tampa Bay lead.
Toronto tied it in the fourth. Colby Rasmus reached with a one-out bunt and scored from first on Arencibia's subsequent double to right. Escobar then hit a grounder to short and Arencibia scored when Rodriguez threw the ball past Pena at first.
The Rays completed a 10-day, 10-game road trip (4-6). They will play 13 of their next 16 games at Tropicana Field, beginning Friday against the Twins...Tampa Bay claimed outfielder Brandon Allen off waivers from the Athletics on Thursday. Allen has hit .205 with 11 home runs in parts of four season with Arizona and Oakland.
- TAMPA BAY: 9
Apr 19 10:52 PM
- Brett Lawrie tagged out between home and first scored Jose Bautista. On the play, Eric Thames advances to second and Edwin Encarnacion advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Colby Rasmus due up.
Rays 9, Blue Jays 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 19 10:50 PM
- Luke Scott doubled to right scored Carlos Pena and Evan Longoria. Runner on second with one out and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 9, Blue Jays 3 Top 9, 1 OutApr 19 10:31 PM
- Evan Longoria doubled to left scored Desmond Jennings. On the play, Carlos Pena advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Luke Scott due up.
Rays 7, Blue Jays 3 Top 9, 1 OutApr 19 10:29 PM
- Evan Longoria two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to center scored Ben Zobrist. Luke Scott due up.
Rays 6, Blue Jays 3 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 19 8:47 PM
- Desmond Jennings one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 4, Blue Jays 3 Top 5, 1 OutApr 19 8:39 PM
- Yunel Escobar reached first on Sean Rodriguez's throwing error scored J.P. Arencibia. Runner on first with one out and Kelly Johnson due up.
Rays 3, Blue Jays 3 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 19 8:35 PM
- J.P. Arencibia doubled to right scored Colby Rasmus. Runner on second with one out and Yunel Escobar due up.
Rays 3, Blue Jays 2 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 19 8:31 PM
- Desmond Jennings singled to center scored Sean Rodriguez. Runner on first with two outs and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 3, Blue Jays 1 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 19 7:46 PM
- Sean Rodriguez singled to right scored Matt Joyce. Sean Rodriguez advances to third on Jose Bautista's throwing error. Runner on third with two outs and Desmond Jennings due up.
Rays 2, Blue Jays 1 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 19 7:45 PM
- Adam Lind doubled to right scored Yunel Escobar. Runner on second with two outs and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Rays 1, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 19 7:29 PM
- Evan Longoria singled to right center scored Ben Zobrist. On the play, Carlos Pena advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Luke Scott due up.
Rays 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 19 7:17 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 19 7:09 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21