Longoria lifts Rays past RangersApr 28, 2012 - 6:27 AM
B.J. Upton and Ben Zobrist added an RBI apiece while Luke Scott smacked a solo shot for the Rays. Starter James Shields surrendered four runs on eleven hits with eight strike outs over six innings to earn the victory.
"The guys did a great job of getting us off to a hot start," said Shields. "Obviously getting a bunch of runs early was huge and obviously against a team like this you have to do that."
The Rays have now won six straight for the first time since a seven-game run from July 24-30, 2010.
Texas starter Matt Harrison was shelled for seven runs -- six earned -- and 14 hits over five innings of work. Josh Hamilton launched a three-run homer while David Murphy added a solo shot for the Rangers, who had won two straight.
"It seemed like they knew what I was going to throw," lamented Harrison. "Maybe I was tipping something tonight, I don't know."
The Rays jumped all over the Rangers in the top of the first as Desmond Jennings smacked a leadoff single and Carlos Pena reached on an error before Longoria belted his fourth homer of the year for a 3-0 lead.
Zobrist then worked a walk before scoring on Upton's single two batters later to make it 4-0 before the Rangers even batted.
Texas got one back in the home half, as Ian Kinsler launched a leadoff double off the wall and Elvis Andrus followed with a single. Andrus was then picked off at first before Kinsler scored on a groundout from Hamilton.
Consecutive singles with one out in the third had runners on first and second for the Rays. After Sean Rodriguez lined out, Chris Gimenez singled to right field. Jeff Keppinger scored on the play, but Andrus was thrown out at the plate, making the margin 5-1 in favor of Tampa Bay.
Tampa Bay added two more in the fifth, as Elliot Johnson roped a leadoff double before consecutive groundouts slowed the rally. But Longoria followed with a single to score Johnson before Zobrist's double plated Longoria for a 7-1 lead.
Texas pulled within 7-3 in the fifth as Hamilton belted his ninth home run of the year, a two-run shot.
Both teams added a run with the long ball in the sixth as Scott belted his fifth of the year in the top half and Murphy answered in the bottom half with his second of the season to make it 8-4 Tampa Bay.
The Rays have won 12 of Shields' last 15 regular-season starts, dating back to August. 3 of last season...Jennings leadoff single for the Rays extended his hitting streak to a career-high nine games...Saturday's matchup features two right-handers as Jeff Niemann toes the rubber for Tampa Bay against Colby Lewis of Texas.
- TAMPA BAY: 8
Apr 27 11:27 PM
- David Murphy one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Mike Napoli due up.
Rays 8, Rangers 4 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 27 10:10 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Luke Scott two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 8, Rangers 3 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 27 10:01 PM
- Josh Hamilton one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to center scored Elvis Andrus. Adrian Beltre due up.
Rays 7, Rangers 3 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 27 9:50 PM
- Ben Zobrist double to center scored Evan Longoria with two out. Runner on second and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Rays 7, Rangers 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 27 9:19 PM
- Evan Longoria single to left scored Elliot Johnson with two out. Runner on first and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 6, Rangers 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 27 9:18 PM
- Chris Gimenez single to right scored Jeff Keppinger with two out. On the play B.J. Upton out at home, right to short to catcher to end the inning.
Rays 5, Rangers 1 Mid 3Apr 27 9:02 PM
- Josh Hamilton ground out short to first scored Ian Kinsler with two out. None on with and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rays 4, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 27 8:27 PM
- B.J. Upton single to left scored Ben Zobrist with none out. On the play, Jeff Keppinger advances to second. Runners on first and second and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 4, Rangers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsApr 27 8:17 PM
- Evan Longoria none-out, three-run Home Run (4) to center scored Desmond Jennings and Carlos Pena. Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 3, Rangers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsApr 27 8:13 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 8:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22