Rays take 2 from Blue JaysMay 16, 2012 - 5:40 AM
Sean Rodriguez began the pivotal seventh with a home run, and several miscues by the Jays allowed their AL East rivals to come away victorious.
David Price (6-2) was credited with the win after allowing three runs on six hits over seven frames, while Ben Zobrist sparked the offense with three of the club's 12 hits.
"I thought [Price] got better with the game in progress," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "I think if we needed him to he could have pitched the eighth inning."
Edwin Encarnacion belted a two-run homer in Toronto's third straight loss.
Alvarez (3-3), looking to win his fourth straight start, was cruising until Rodriguez's towering home run to right-center cut the Rays' deficit to 3-2.
Will Rhymes followed with a base hit, and Yunel Escobar bobbled a routine double-play ball off the bat of Jose Molina to put the go-ahead run on base.
Elliot Johnson then hit a sharp line drive to left field, and Rajai Davis dropped the ball on a bounce, allowing Rhymes to score without a throw. A wild pitch moved both runners into scoring position, and Zobrist lined one off of Kelly Johnson's glove at second base to load the bases.
B.J. Upton's double-play grounder scored the eventual-game winner, as Joel Peralta and Fernando Rodney each hurled a perfect inning of relief behind Price to seal Tampa Bay's third straight win.
Rodney notched his 11th save in as many chances, though he appeared to get some help from home plate umpire Bill Miller, who rung-up Brett Lawrie on a borderline third strike for the second out.
Lawrie showed his displeasure by slamming his helmet into the ground and was promptly ejected. John Farrell came to the rescue of his third baseman and was quickly tossed as well.
"In a one-run game...I felt like the bat was taken completely out of Brett's hands," Farrell said. "Those are not strikes, evident by the reactions of Brett and myself."
The Jays put up three runs in the third, which began with Johnson backhanding Davis' ground ball in the hole between short and third and rushing his throw to first.
The errant toss allowed Davis to advance to second, and he eventually scored on Jose Bautista's two-out base hit up the middle. Price's next pitch was crushed deep into the first row of seats in center field by Encarnacion.
Zobrist had been thrown out at home by Davis in the away half of the third, but his two-out double in the fifth plated Rhymes.
Alvarez was charged with four runs -- two earned -- on 10 hits over 6 2/3 innings...Alvarez and Lawrie also committed errors...Encarnacion leads the Jays with 12 home runs and 31 RBI...Price improved to 11-2 in 14 appearances against Toronto...Before the game, the Rays placed pitcher Jeff Niemann on the 15-day disabled list due to a fracture in his right fibula suffered on Monday. The team recalled pitcher Josh Lueke from Triple-A Durham to fill the roster spot...Both teams play their next two games against division opponents, as the Rays host the Red Sox and the Jays welcome the Yankees.
- TAMPA BAY: 4
May 15 9:44 PM
- B.J. Upton ground into double play scored Jose Molina with tow outs.
Rays 4, Blue Jays 3 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 15 8:55 PM
- Elliot Johnson singled. On the play, Will Rhymes scored Rajai Davis's fielding error with no outs.
Rays 3, Blue Jays 3 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 15 8:53 PM
- Sean Rodriguez lead-off Home Run (3).
Rays 2, Blue Jays 3 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 15 8:45 PM
- Ben Zobrist double scored Will Rhymes with two outs.
Rays 1, Blue Jays 3 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 15 8:23 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion two-out, two-run Home Run (12) scored Jose Bautista.
Rays 0, Blue Jays 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 15 7:57 PM
- Jose Bautista singled to center scored Rajai Davis. Runner on first with two outs and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Rays 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 15 7:55 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 7:07 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21