Cobb sparkles on mound, Rays edge Blue JaysAug 9, 2012 - 2:08 AM
Tampa Bay scored all of its runs in the third inning, as Evan Longoria plated Upton with a double play groundout and Jeff Keppinger added a two-out RBI single.
Longoria, in his second game back from a prolonged absence, went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts. Still, Tampa Bay improved to 17-8 with Longoria in the lineup this season, compared to 41-44 without the three-time All-Star.
Cobb (6-8) allowed one run on five hits, did not issue a walk and struck out seven.
Fernando Rodney entered the ninth with a 22-inning scoreless streak -- a club record for a reliever -- but surrendered a one-out solo homer to David Cooper. The righty then retired two straight batters to secure his 34th save of the year.
The Rays have won nine of 14 overall and will look for the sweep of this three-game series on Thursday.
Carlos Villanueva (6-2) took the loss, giving up three runs on six hits over six innings. He walked three and struck out seven.
Edwin Encarnacion had a third-inning sacrifice fly for the Blue Jays, losers in eight of their last 10 games. They have dropped 16 consecutive away series against the Rays.
- TORONTO: 2
TAMPA BAY: 3
Aug 8 9:56 PM
- David Cooper one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Kelly Johnson due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rays 3 Top 9, 1 OutAug 8 9:55 PM
- Jose Molina flied out to left to end the inning.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 3 End 3Aug 8 8:23 PM
- Evan Longoria grounded into a double play, short to second to first scored B.J. Upton with two out. On the play, Matt Joyce out at second. None on and Ben Zobrist due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 8 8:14 PM
- Matt Joyce singled to right. On the play, B.J. Upton advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Evan Longoria due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 8 8:11 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion sacrifice fly out to left scored Rajai Davis with two out. Runner on first and Yunel Escobar due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 8 7:58 PM
- TORONTO: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 8 7:13 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21