Beltre, Rangers power past RaysAug 28, 2012 - 5:34 AM
Beltre singled in the tie-breaking run in the fifth inning off David Price and the AL West leaders received six frames from Derek Holland to win for the eighth time in 10 contests.
Holland (9-6) allowed six hits and five runs -- three earned -- and fanned five to remain unbeaten over his last five starts.
Price (16-5), who had allowed a total of two runs over his four previous starts and entered with an 8-0 mark over his past 12 starts, gave up 10 hits and six runs over four-plus innings.
"You might only get one pitch to hit in the at-bat, and that's the approach we took today," Beltre said. "We came in aggressive."
It's the most runs Price has given up since he allowed a season-high seven to the New York Mets in a 9-1 loss on June 13, his last defeat.
Evan Longoria blasted a two-run homer and B.J. Upton contributed two RBI, but the playoff-contending Rays lost their third in a row. They remained four games behind the first-place New York Yankees in the AL East.
"This thing is going to ebb and flow the rest of the season, there's no question it's going to come down to the nubs," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "Our goal is to still win the division, not just get in as a wild card."
Alexi Ogando, Mike Adams and Joe Nathan each fanned a pair of batters over the final three scoreless frames. Nathan notched his 26th save of the year, including his 24th in a row to extend a Rangers record.
The Rays got an RBI triple from Upton and a run-scoring base hit from Ben Zobrist in the fifth inning, but the Rangers retired the final 15 Tampa Bay hitters.
In the bottom of the fifth, Elvis Andrus and Josh Hamilton singled to right field, and Beltre followed with his go-ahead hit, a soft liner to left field.
Longoria homered with Zobrist aboard in the first inning, but Beltre and Nelson Cruz went deep to start the second. Michael Young scored on Mike Olt's groundout later in the frame.
The Rays tied the game on Upton's sacrifice fly in the third following a triple from Desmond Jennings, but Beltre stroked a double to right field to plate Andrus and Hamilton in the bottom half for a 5-3 contest.
Price is 1-4 in eight career starts against Texas ... Beltre has six homers and 13 RBI over his last six games. He has 25 homers this season ... The Rangers have won 10 of their last 13 home games.
- TAMPA BAY: 5
Aug 27 10:56 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to left scored Elvis Andrus with none out. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rays 5, Rangers 6 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 27 9:50 PM
- Ben Zobrist single to left scored B.J. Upton with none out. Runner on first and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 5, Rangers 5 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 27 9:35 PM
- B.J. Upton triple to right scored Desmond Jennings with none out. Runner on third and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 4, Rangers 5 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 27 9:30 PM
- Adrian Beltre double to right scored Elvis Andrus and Josh Hamilton with none out. Runner on second and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rays 3, Rangers 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 27 9:03 PM
- B.J. Upton sacrifice fly to center scored Desmond Jennings with one out. None on and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 3, Rangers 3 Top 3, 1 OutAug 27 9:00 PM
- Ian Kinsler popped out to second to end the inning.
Rays 2, Rangers 3 End 2Aug 27 8:45 PM
- Michael Young singled to right. Runner on first with none out and Geovany Soto due up.
Rays 2, Rangers 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 27 8:39 PM
- Adrian Beltre lead-off Home Run (25) to left. Nelson Cruz due up.
Rays 2, Rangers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 27 8:36 PM
- Evan Longoria two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Ben Zobrist. Jeff Keppinger due up.
Rays 2, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 27 8:17 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 27 8:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22