Darvish fans 10 as Rangers nip RaysAug 29, 2012 - 5:33 AM
Darvish (13-9), who was skipped in his scheduled turn Thursday versus Minnesota due to a tight right quadriceps muscle, looked sharp in his return as he surrendered six hits.
Mike Adams gave up a single to Sam Fuld in the eighth inning. Fuld stole second, and with two outs Ben Zobrist sent a hard grounder that was destined for the right field line, but first baseman Mitch Moreland made a diving stop and raced to the bag for the final out.
Nathan struck out Luke Scott, Carlos Pena and Ryan Roberts in succession for his 27th save of the year. He's retired 14 consecutive batters. His 25 straight saves ties the mark by John Wetteland July 25, 1997 - May 20, 1998.
Ian Kinsler homered to left field off James Shields leading off the fourth inning, as the AL West leaders won for the sixth time in seven games.
Shields (12-8) gave up three hits and fanned eight over seven innings, but had a four-decision winning streak broken.
Fuld had three hits for the playoff-contending Rays, who lost their fourth in a row. They went 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base.
"We gotta get better, we gotta be able to win those games," Shields said. "We gotta get better towards the end of the game there and try to scratch some more runs and pitch better. It's frustrating."
The Rays had a pair of runners in scoring position in the second inning with nobody out, but Pena, Roberts and Jose Lobaton couldn't come through. The visitors had the bases full in the fourth, but Lobaton grounded into an inning-ending double play.
"He was outstanding, he really was, especially after the second, got into the third and he began to execute his pitches," Rangers manager Ron Washington said of Darvish. "I think he showed what he's made of."
Rays right fielder Matt Joyce left the game with a strained left forearm...Over the last 18 games beginning Aug. 11, Texas relievers have a 0.86 ERA (4 earned runs, 42 innings) with 47 strikeouts ... Washington has 504 career wins and needs two more to tie Johnny Oates for second-most in team history behind only Bobby Valentine (581) ... By winning this three-game set, the Rangers moved to 11-1-1 in their last 13 home series.
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Aug 28 10:56 PM
- Ian Kinsler lead-off Home Run (16) to left. Elvis Andrus due up.
Rays 0, Rangers 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 28 9:26 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 28 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22