Blue Jays edge RaysSep 1, 2012 - 2:18 AM
Morrow (8-5) gave up one run on eight hits and a walk with five strikeouts to put an end to a personal two-game losing streak. Steve Delabar worked 1 1/3 perfect innings in relief and Casey Janssen was bailed out of trouble in the ninth inning to earn his 19th save of the season.
Edwin Encarnacion hit a solo home run, while Moises Sierra smoked a solo homer and helped out defensively by throwing out Elliot Johnson at the plate for the final out of the game.
Desmond Jennings accounted for the lone run with a homer and Jeremy Hellickson (8-10) took the loss after allowing two runs on four hits over six-plus innings for the Rays, who have lost six of their last seven.
The Rays opened the scoring in the third inning after Jennings led off the frame with a towering fly ball to center that carried beyond the wall for his 11th home run of the season
Sierra tied the game in the home half when he launched a solo shot over the wall in left and the Jays took the lead in their next at-bat.
After Colby Rasmus flied out to begin the fourth, Encarnacion got a fastball from Hellickson and deposited it into the stands in straightaway center field to make it 2-1.
Jeff Keppinger ripped a base hit off Janssen to begin the ninth and the pinch- runner Johnson moved into scoring position on a fly out to left by Luke Scott. Ryan Roberts struck out, but pinch-hitter Carlos Pena followed with a base hit to right.
Sierra played the ball on a high hop and fired a strike to catcher Jeff Mathis, who held on to the ball despite getting run over by Johnson to preserve the victory for Toronto.
Despite the loss, the Rays lead the season series between the teams, 9-4 ... Tampa Bay has lost 11 of its last 12 one-run contests ... The Rays finished the month of August with a 17-11 record. It was their sixth consecutive winning August and they are a major league-best 88-52 in August since 2008 ... During the game, it was announced that the Rays acquired outfielder Ben Francisco from the Houston Astros for a player to be named later ... Toronto improved to 10-20 in one-run games this season.
- TAMPA BAY: 1
Aug 31 9:38 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion solo Home Run (35) to center with one out. Adam Lind due up.
Rays 1, Blue Jays 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 31 8:13 PM
- Moises Sierra lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Jeff Mathis due up.
Rays 1, Blue Jays 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 31 7:56 PM
- Desmond Jennings lead-off Home Run (11) to center. B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 31 7:47 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 31 7:09 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21