Francisco leads Rays over the Blue JaysSep 3, 2012 - 12:27 AM
Francisco, who spent time with the Blue Jays earlier this season, was acquired from the Houston Astros on Aug. 31 in exchange for a player to be named later.
Ben Zobrist drove in two while Desmond Jennings was 3-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored for the Rays, who took the final two of this set after dropping the first two.
David Price (17-5) became the fourth 17-game winner in the majors as he gave up just two runs on six hits with four walks and five strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings.
"They've done a good job all year hitting for me, especially early in games," said Price. "That makes my job a lot easier when I'm getting four or five runs in the first couple of innings."
Edwin Encarnacion hit a two-run home run and drove in three for the Blue Jays, who had won three straight prior to dropping the last two.
Ricky Romero (8-13) dropped his 12th straight decision as he got tagged for seven runs on eight hits in just one-plus inning of work.
"I felt pretty good today, but I left some fastballs up and they got a hold of them," said Price. "That's the way this game goes sometimes, they had my number."
The Rays pushed one across in the first when Jennings singled to leadoff and, after moving to second on a sacrifice and stealing third, came home on a Evan Longoria double, but the team blew the game open in the second.
Francisco led off the frame with his third home run of the season. Carlos Pena then walked and Ryan Roberts followed with a double. Consecutive singles from Jose Molina and Jennings each drove in a run. B.J. Upton then hit a high fly to right that Moises Sierra lost in the sun. Zobrist singled to bring home two, and Jeff Keppinger later grounded out to bring in another run for a 7-0 lead.
Pena led off the third with his 17th homer of the season and Francisco doubled in another run in the fourth for a 9-0 lead.
The Blue Jays got two in the seventh on a sac fly from Encarnacion and an RBI single by Adam Lind, while Encarnacion homered with Colby Rasmus on base in the ninth to account for the final score.
Tampa has won 11 of the 15 games against Toronto this season ... Romero hasn't won since beating Miami on June 22 ... Tampa hosts the Yankees for three games starting on Monday ... Toronto welcomes Baltimore for three games beginning on Monday ... Tampa left 12 men on base, but did hit 7-for-18 with runners in scoring position ... Toronto went 2-for-8 with RISP and stranded nine.
- TAMPA BAY: 9
Sep 2 4:07 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion two-out, two-run Home Run (37) to left scored Colby Rasmus. Adam Lind due up.
Rays 9, Blue Jays 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 2 4:06 PM
- Adam Lind singled to pitcher scored Rajai Davis. On the play, Colby Rasmus advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Yunel Escobar due up.
Rays 9, Blue Jays 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 2 3:34 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion sacrifice fly out to first scored Adeiny Hechavarria. On the play, Rajai Davis advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Adam Lind due up.
Rays 9, Blue Jays 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 2 3:32 PM
- Carlos Pena intentionally walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Ryan Roberts due up.
Rays 9, Blue Jays 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 2 2:28 PM
- Carlos Pena lead-off Home Run (17) to center. Ryan Roberts due up.
Rays 8, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 2 2:06 PM
- Jeff Keppinger grounded out third to first scoring B.J. Upton with two outs. Runner on second and Ben Francisco due up.
Rays 7, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 2 1:47 PM
- Ben Zobrist single to center scored Jose Molina and Desmond Jennings with none out. On the play, B.J. Upton advances to second. Runners on first and second and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 6, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 2 1:43 PM
- Desmond Jennings single to center scored Ryan Roberts with none out. On the play, Jose Molina advances to second. Runners on first and second and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 4, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 2 1:40 PM
- Jose Molina single to center scored Carlos Pena with none out. On the play, Ryan Roberts advances to third. Runners on first and third and Desmond Jennings due up.
Rays 3, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 2 1:39 PM
- Ben Francisco lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Carlos Pena due up.
Rays 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 2 1:28 PM
- Evan Longoria double to left scored Desmond Jennings with two outs. Runner on second and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Rays 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 2 1:16 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 2 1:09 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21