Upton blasts three homers to back Shields' two-hit gemSep 10, 2012 - 4:16 AM
Upton hammered Roy Oswalt's first pitch of the rubber match into the right- field bleachers, then added two more solo shots off reliever Martin Perez.
"You kind of dream about doing things like that and they don't happen very often," Upton said.
Shields (14-8), not to be overshadowed, gave up just two hits against the hard-hitting Rangers while striking out eight and not issuing a walk.
Jose Molina added a two-run homer for the Rays, who have won six of eight and are 1 1/2 games behind an AL wild card spot.
Texas holds a four-game lead over the Athletics in the AL West.
Oswalt (4-3) lasted just two innings in a spot start that gave Matt Harrison an extra couple of days rest. The midseason signing was touched for four runs on six hits as his ERA rose to 6.29.
Matt Joyce doubled in Ben Zobrist after Upton's seventh career leadoff homer, and Molina followed Carlos Pena's leadoff single in the second with his sixth home run of the season for a quick 4-0 edge.
Upton, the Rays' leader in homers, RBI and stolen bases, crushed one midway up the left-field seats to open the fourth, then cleared the wall again with the bases empty in the sixth.
He came up in the eighth with a chance at four home runs, but grounded out weakly to third.
Shields retired 19 in a row at one point and fittingly ended the brisk 2-hour, 15-minute affair by catching Elvis Andrus looking at strike three.
"He was really good today. He had a tremendous change-up and he certainly didn't waste a whole lot of pitches," Rangers manager Ron Washington said about Shields. "We just couldn't find the fat of the bat."
Shields has eight career shutouts ... Upton has 21 home runs and 12 since August 3 ... Pena tied his own club record with his 166th strikeout ... The Rangers had won six straight series.
- TEXAS: 0
TAMPA BAY: 6
Sep 9 4:00 PM
- Jeff Keppinger flied out to left. None on with two out and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rangers 0, Rays 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 9 3:21 PM
- B.J. Upton lead off Home Run 2 (20) to left. Jeff Keppinger due up.
Rangers 0, Rays 5 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 9 2:50 PM
- Jose Molina none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Carlos Pena. B.J. Upton due up.
Rangers 0, Rays 4 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 9 2:13 PM
- Matt Joyce double to left scored Ben Zobrist. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to third. Runners on second and third with two out and Ryan Roberts due up.
Rangers 0, Rays 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 9 1:59 PM
- B.J. Upton lead-off Home Run (19) to right. Jeff Keppinger due up.
Rangers 0, Rays 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 9 1:50 PM
- TEXAS: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 9 1:41 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22