Romero strong as Blue Jays down RangersMay 2, 2012 - 10:19 PM
Romero (4-0) surrendered five runs on six hits and three walks, Yunel Escobar added three hits, including a three-run triple, and Edwin Encarnacion belted a three-run blast for the Jays, who have won four of their last five.
"That's a tough team, a tough lineup," said Romero about the Rangers. "I thought I did a pretty good job at throwing strikes and keeping them off balance."
Matt Harrison (3-2) had a forgettable outing, yielding eight runs on eight hits and two walks in just 3 1/3 innings of work. Elvis Andrus had two hits and knocked in two runs, while Brandon Snyder hit his first major league home run.
The Rangers have now dropped their last two series and lost consecutive games for the first time all season.
"He just couldn't get his changeup working, which is his bread and butter," said Rangers manager Ron Washington about Harrison. "And when he left the ball up, you have to give the Toronto Blue Jays' hitters credit, they made us pay for it."
Texas struck first with two outs in the top of the second as Snyder launched a home run to straightaway center field, giving the Rangers an early 1-0 lead.
After Rajai Davis reached on fielder's choice in the third, Kelly Johnson put the Jays on top, belting a fastball over the wall in right for his sixth home run of the season and a 2-1 Toronto lead.
The Jays blew the game open with a six-run fourth as Ben Francisco worked a leadoff walk and, after Brett Lawrie struck out, Eric Thames ripped a double into the right-field corner, putting runners on second and third with one out.
J.P. Arencibia then followed with a two-run double off the wall in left before a single and a walk loaded the bases for Escobar, who quickly cleared them with a triple into the right-field gap.
Jose Bautista capped the scoring in the fourth with a sacrifice fly to center, plating Escobar to make it an 8-1 contest.
Romero ran into some trouble in the fifth, issuing three straight walks to start the frame before serving up a two-run double to Andrus.
Michael Young's flare into shallow right then made it 8-4 before Andrus came around to score on a Mike Napoli sacrifice fly to bring the Rangers within three.
But Toronto extended its lead in the sixth as Encarnacion lifted a two-out, three-run blast into the seats in left field, giving the Jays an 11-5 edge.
Romero is now 7-0 in 11 home starts dating back to July 16 of last season...The Rangers had won a team record six straight series to start the season before dropping two straight...The Rangers were without Josh Hamilton (back) for the third straight game while Adrian Beltre (leg) missed his second straight contest.
- TEXAS: 5
May 2 3:23 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion two-out, three-run Home Run (9) to left scored Yunel Escobar and Jose Bautista. Ben Francisco due up.
Rangers 5, Blue Jays 11 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 2 2:43 PM
- Mike Napoli sacrifice fly to center scored Elvis Andrus with one out. Runner on first and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 5, Blue Jays 8 Top 5, 1 OutMay 2 2:12 PM
- Michael Young singled to second scoring Ian Kinsler with none out. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to third. Runners on first and third with Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 4, Blue Jays 8 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 2 2:11 PM
- Elvis Andrus doubled to center scoring Brandon Snyder and Craig Gentry with none out. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to third. Runners on second and third with Michael Young due up.
Rangers 3, Blue Jays 8 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 2 2:09 PM
- Jose Bautista sacrifice fly to center scored Yunel Escobar with two out. None on and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Rangers 1, Blue Jays 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 2 1:58 PM
- Yunel Escobar tripled to center scoring J.P. Arencibia, Rajai Davis and Kelly Johnson with one out. Runner on third and Jose Bautista due up.
Rangers 1, Blue Jays 7 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 2 1:53 PM
- J.P. Arencibia doubled to left scoring Ben Francisco and Eric Thames with one out. Runner on second and Rajai Davis due up.
Rangers 1, Blue Jays 4 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 2 1:46 PM
- Kelly Johnson one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Rajai Davis. Yunel Escobar due up.
Rangers 1, Blue Jays 2 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 2 1:28 PM
- Brandon Snyder two-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Craig Gentry due up.
Rangers 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 2 12:58 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 2 12:38 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22