Rangers hammer Blue JaysMay 27, 2012 - 10:42 PM
A day after Josh Hamilton clubbed a game-winning two-run homer in the bottom of the 13th inning, Adrian Beltre, Ian Kinsler and Mike Napoli all smacked two-run shots and the Rangers' offense used a seven-run second inning to rout the Toronto Blue Jays, 12-6, and complete a three-game sweep.
Kinsler finished with four RBI while Napoli scored three runs for Texas, which has won four of its last five games.
Yu Darvish (7-2) surrendered three runs on seven hits and three walks in five innings.
"He was a little erratic but he made pitches when he had to and that was the most important thing," Texas manager Ron Washington said of Darvish's outing.
J.P. Arencibia hit two homers while Kyle Drabek (4-5) was charged with nine runs on eight hits and three walks in three innings for the Blue Jays, who have dropped five consecutive contests.
In the seven-run second, the Rangers sent 11 men to the plate and registered five hits and three walks.
Michael Young started it with a single before David Murphy walked. After Nelson Cruz popped out, consecutive free passes to Napoli and Mitch Moreland plated Young.
Back-to-back two-run doubles from Kinsler and Elvis Andrus made it 5-0 and two batters later, Beltre hammered a two-run blast to left-center field, giving the home team a 7-0 lead.
Toronto plated a run on Jose Bautista's RBI groundout in the third frame, but Kinsler launched a towering two-run shot to left in the bottom half to make it 9-1.
Arencibia cracked a leadoff homer in the fourth inning and Edwin Encarnacion's run-scoring single in the fifth cut the deficit to 9-3.
Texas, though, tallied three more runs in the seventh frame on Cruz's RBI double and Napoli's two-run homer over the wall in right increased the margin to 12-3.
Arencibia smacked a solo shot in the eighth inning and Colby Rasmus laced a two-run blast in the ninth to cap the scoring.
Kinsler's four RBI tied a career high...Texas was 4-for-7 with runners in scoring position while Toronto was 1-for-11...Hamilton was 0-for-4...Texas has now won three straight for the third time this season.
- TORONTO: 6
May 27 5:57 PM
- Colby Rasmus one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Omar Vizquel. Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 6, Rangers 12 Top 9, 1 OutMay 27 5:56 PM
- J.P. Arencibia one-out, solo Home Run (9) to left. Brett Lawrie due up.
Blue Jays 4, Rangers 12 Top 8, 1 OutMay 27 5:36 PM
- Mitch Moreland struck out swinging to end the inning.
Blue Jays 3, Rangers 12 End 7May 27 5:29 PM
- Nelson Cruz doubled to left center scoring David Murphy with two outs. Runner on second and Mike Napoli due up.
Blue Jays 3, Rangers 10 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 27 5:24 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion singled to left scoring Colby Rasmus with none out. On the play, Jose Bautista advances to second. Runners on first and second and Eric Thames due up.
Blue Jays 3, Rangers 9 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 27 4:44 PM
- J.P. Arencibia lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Brett Lawrie due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rangers 9 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 27 4:22 PM
- Ian Kinsler two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Mike Napoli. Elvis Andrus due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rangers 9 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 27 4:18 PM
- Jose Bautista grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second, to score Yunel Escobar with two outs. On the play, Colby Rasmus out at second. Runner on first and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 1, Rangers 7 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 27 4:06 PM
- Adrian Beltre two-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left center scored Elvis Andrus. Michael Young due up.
Blue Jays 0, Rangers 7 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 27 3:54 PM
- Josh Hamilton popped out to short. Runner on second with two outs and Adrian Beltre due up.
Blue Jays 0, Rangers 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 27 3:53 PM
- Ian Kinsler doubled to left center scoring David Murphy and Mike Napoli with one out. On the play, Mitch Moreland advances to third. Runners on second and third and Elvis Andrus due up.
Blue Jays 0, Rangers 3 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 27 3:51 PM
- Mitch Moreland walked, scoring Michael Young with one out. Bases loaded and Ian Kinsler due up.
Blue Jays 0, Rangers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 27 3:48 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 27 3:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22