Blue Jays dominate MetsMay 19, 2012 - 5:56 AM
Rajai Davis had a pair of two-run home runs while Yan Gomes added his first major league home run, two RBI and two runs scored for the Blue Jays, who have won three straight. Ricky Romero (5-1) gave up just one run on three hits with four walks and six strikeouts over six innings for the win.
"It was an outstanding offensive night tonight, obviously," said Toronto manager John Farrell. "J.P. had some strong swings and Davis is really finding his groove lately."
Scott Hairston hit a three-run home run for the Mets, who have dropped three of four. Jon Niese (2-2) left after three innings as he gave up eight runs on eight hits but did strike out six.
"Next time I face them won't be for a while," said Niese. "But I just have to put this behind me and worry about my next start."
Toronto scored early and often in this game to take a commanding lead as the team got things started in the first on Arencibia's line-drive shot over the wall in left with two on for a 3-0 lead.
After Rob Johnson drove in a run in the second on a groundout to cut the Mets' deficit to two, Gomes led off bottom of the inning with his first career home run.
Jose Bautista added an RBI single later in the second and Toronto again used the long ball in the third to pad its advantage.
Arencibia led off the frame with his second of the game and seventh of the season. Later in the inning with two outs and one on, Davis belted a shot into the left field seats for an 8-1 lead.
Davis added his second two-run shot of the game in the fifth, a bomb deep into the left field stands, for a 10-1 lead.
Arencibia singled in two runs, Eric Thames had an RBI single and Gomes followed with a sac fly in the sixth to make it a 14-1 game.
The Mets made the game a bit more respectable in the eighth with an RBI groundout with the bases loaded from Daniel Murphy and a three-run home run off the bat of Hairston to make it a nine-run game.
Mets third baseman David Wright hit a double in the first inning, the 1,300th hit of his career...It was a season-high in runs scored for the Blue Jays...The last time these teams met was in 2006 when the Mets took two of three in Toronto.
- NEW YORK: 5
May 18 10:02 PM
- Scott Hairston two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to right scored Justin Turner and Lucas Duda. Kirk Nieuwenhuis is due up.
Mets 5, Blue Jays 14 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 18 9:48 PM
- Daniel Murphy's groundout from third to first scored Andres Torres. On the play, Lucas Duda advances to second and Justin Turner advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Scott Hairston due up.
Mets 2, Blue Jays 14 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 18 9:45 PM
- Yan Gomes sacrifice fly to center scored J.P. Arencibia. Runner on first with two outs and Rajai Davis due up.
Mets 1, Blue Jays 14 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 18 9:10 PM
- Eric Thames singled to right scoring Edwin Encarnacion. On the play, J.P. Arencibia advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Yan Gomes due up.
Mets 1, Blue Jays 13 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 18 9:08 PM
- J.P. Arencibia singled to center scoring Yunel Escobar and Jose Bautista. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Ben Francisco due up.
Mets 1, Blue Jays 12 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 18 9:06 PM
- Rajai Davis two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (2) to left scored Yan Gomes. Kelly Johnson is due up.
Mets 1, Blue Jays 10 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 18 8:44 PM
- Rajai Davis two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Eric Thames. Kelly Johnson is due up.
Mets 1, Blue Jays 8 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 18 8:07 PM
- Eric Thames singled to center. Runner on first with one out and Yan Gomes due up.
Mets 1, Blue Jays 6 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 18 8:04 PM
- Jose Bautista singled to left scoring Kelly Johnson. Runner on second with two outs as Bautista advanced on the throw to home and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Mets 1, Blue Jays 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 18 7:52 PM
- Rajai Davis struck out swinging. None on with one out and Kelly Johnson due up.
Mets 1, Blue Jays 4 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 18 7:44 PM
- Rob Johnson's groundout from short to first scored Daniel Murphy. On the play, Scott Hairston advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Mets 1, Blue Jays 3 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 18 7:36 PM
- J.P. Arencibia two-out, three-run Home Run (6) to left scored Kelly Johnson and Yunel Escobar. Ben Francisco is due up.
Mets 0, Blue Jays 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 18 7:26 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 18 7:08 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22