Jackson stellar as Nationals down Blue JaysJun 12, 2012 - 6:23 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Edwin Jackson allowed just two runs over eight- plus innings to guide the Washington Nationals past the Toronto Blue Jays, 6-3, in the first of a three-game interleague set at Rogers Centre.
Jackson (3-3) gave up three hits and struck out three to pick up his second win in as many starts.
"He pitched one heck of a ballgame," Nationals manager Davey Johnson said of his starter. "He was dominant. ... What a great effort."
Adam LaRoche and Rick Ankiel each homered and Bryce Harper went 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored for the Nationals, who have won four straight and six of their last seven.
Brandon Morrow (7-4) was pegged with the loss after giving up a leadoff double to Steve Lombardozzi, who later scored. Morrow left the game with a left oblique strain after just nine pitches.
"I felt like a stabbing thing on my side," recalled Morrow. "I wasn't able to deliver the ball very well."
Chad Beck replaced Morrow and gave up three runs -- two earned -- on three hits in 3 2/3 innings.
Colby Rasmus hit a solo homer and Yan Gomes had a pinch-hit two-run homer for Toronto, which has dropped four of its last five.
Washington wasted no time and jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the first. Lombardozzi doubled to right then scored when Harper followed with a single. Harper moved to third when David Cooper was unable to field a Ryan Zimmerman grounder then scored on Michael Morse's sacrifice fly.
Rasmus launched a solo shot in the home half to make it 2-1.
The Nationals made it 4-1 in the third when LaRoche crushed a two-run homer into the second deck. Harper walked before LaRoche launched his 11th four- bagger of the year.
Washington added a run in both the seventh and eighth to make it 6-1.
In the seventh, Lombardozzi reached on a bunt single, moved to second on Harper's base hit, then scored when Ian Desmond followed with a single.
Ankiel belted a solo homer in the eighth. It was his fourth of the year.
Edwin Encarnacion doubled before Gomes ripped a two-run pinch-hit homer with two outs in the ninth.
The Nationals returned to Canada for the 4th time since leaving Montreal at the end of the 2004 campaign...Washington is 5-2 against the American League East this season...Toronto fell to 16-13 at home this season...Blue Jays are 4.5 games back of the Tampa Bay Rays in the AL East who did not play Monday.
- WASHINGTON: 6
Jun 11 10:12 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Yan Gomes two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left center scored Edwin Encarnacion. J.P. Arencibia due up.
Nationals 6, Blue Jays 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 11 10:11 PM
- Rick Ankiel lead-off Home Run (4) to left center. Jesus Flores due up.
Nationals 6, Blue Jays 1 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 11 9:40 PM
- Ian Desmond single to right scored Steve Lombardozzi with two outs. On the play, Adam LaRoche advances to second and Bryce Harper advances to third. Bases loaded and Danny Espinosa due up.
Nationals 5, Blue Jays 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 11 9:27 PM
- Adam LaRoche two-out, two-run Home Run (11) to right scored Bryce Harper. Michael Morse due up.
Nationals 4, Blue Jays 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 11 8:01 PM
- Colby Rasmus one-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Jose Bautista due up.
Nationals 2, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 11 7:31 PM
- Michael Morse sacrifice fly to right scored Bryce Harper with two outs. Runner on first and Ian Desmond due up.
Nationals 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 11 7:24 PM
- Bryce Harper singledto right scored Steve Lombardozzi with none out. Runner on first and Ryan Zimmerman due up.
Nationals 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 11 7:18 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 11 7:08 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21