Young, Padilla lead Rangers over MarinersSep 30, 2006 - 6:09 AM SEATTLE (Ticker) -- Michael Young made sure the Texas Rangers would finish ahead of the Seattle Mariners.
Young had two doubles, including one in a three-run sixth inning, as the Rangers posted a 6-5 victory over the Mariners.
Young lined a two-base hit into the left-center field alley that plated Rod Barajas and Joaquin Arias and gave Texas a 5-3 lead, helping Vicente Padilla set a career high with his 15th win.
The two doubles gave Young 52 on the season, breaking the team record he shared with Juan Gonzalez.
Padilla (15-10) pitched 5 1/3 innings, allowing four runs and seven hits. He struck out six and walked four to notch his first career win against the Mariners in four decisions. The 29-year-old had won 14 games twice with the Philadelphia Phillies.
C.J. Wilson, one of five Ranger relievers, recorded the final two outs to post his second career save.
The win also assures the Rangers (80-80) will finish alone in third place in the American League West Division. Seattle (76-84) needed to sweep the season-ending, three-game series to tie Texas in the standings.
Emiliano Fruto (2-2) allowed four runs - three in the critical sixth inning - in relief of starter Ryan Feierabend. The rookie lefthander was making his second career start and fourth appearance overall.
Arias added an RBI single in the sixth that tied the game at 3-3.
Nelson Cruz had two RBI, including one in the seventh for Texas, which withstood a solo home run by Raul Ibanez in the ninth inning. Ibanez's blast was his 33rd of the season.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21