Payton's RBI single in 10th lifts A's over AngelsOct 2, 2006 - 12:02 AM ANAHEIM, California (Ticker) -- The Oakland Athletics will head to Minnesota on a positive note.
Jeremy Brown scored the go-ahead run on a throwing error in the top of the 10th inning to lift the Oakland Athletics to an 11-10 season-ending victory over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
The Athletics finished 93-69 en route to the American League West title and will play at Central Division winner Minnesota on Tuesday. The Twins won the AL Central with a victory over Chicago combined with a loss by Detroit to Kansas City.
"This was a game where we got a lot of guys a chance to get ready for the playoffs," A's manager Ken Macha said.
With two outs in the 10th, Brown doubled off Chris Bootcheck (0-1) and scored when Payton lined a shot off Anaheim reliever Brendan Donnelly's midsection. Donnelly recovered but threw wild to first base, allowing Brown to score from second base.
"I just knew he (Payton) could get down the line fast so I just hurried my throw and threw it away," Donnelly said.
Chad Gaudin (4-2) worked a scoreless ninth for the victory while Ron Flores worked the 10th for his first save this season.
"I just wanted to get our guys in the bullpen to get into this game, so they can be ready for our next game," Macha said.
Oakland starter Rich Harden, whom the Athletics were considering for a spot in the postseason rotation, allowed six runs, three hits and three walks in just 3 2/3 innings. The righthander is coming off shoulder problems.
"It was a rough outing, but I got work on some things to help me get ready for the playoffs," Harden said.
Frank Thomas led Oakland with four RBI, including a three-run homer, his 39th of the season and his most since he slammed 42 in the 2003 with the Chicago White Sox.
Jeff Mathis hit a three-run homer for Anaheim, which finished 89-73, three games behind Oakland.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22