Hamilton, Rangers top O's to earn twinbill splitMay 11, 2012 - 6:57 AM
Adrian Beltre, Michael Young and Mike Napoli drove in a run each for the Rangers, who took three of four in the series.
"We've been playing good baseball against a pretty good baseball team. They challenged us in all four of the games we were here and we were fortunate enough to get three of them," said Rangers manager Ron Washington.
Derek Holland (3-2) worked six innings, giving up four hits and three unearned runs, fanning five and walking two.
Wilson Betemit knocked in a run for the Orioles, who couldn't maintain momentum from a 6-5 win in the opener which saw the club belt five home runs.
Recalled from Triple-A Norfolk, Tommy Hunter (2-2) struck out seven and walked one, but allowed five hits and four runs over six full frames.
"You've just got to turn the page and move on," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said of losing the series.
Texas moved ahead in the fifth with a pair of runs on Napoli's RBI triple and Andrus' RBI single, then came up with three more in the sixth after Hunter exited.
It began against Matt Lindstrom with a Mitch Moreland fielder's choice grounder that erased Napoli, then Ian Kinsler singled and Andrus followed with a bloop hit to right to score a run. After a free pass to Hamilton, O's third baseman Steve Tolleson booted a Beltre grounder to bring in Kinsler and Young's groundout scored Andrus for a 7-3 game.
Alexi Ogando and Mike Adams turned in scoreless seventh and eighth innings. Joe Nathan followed suit in the ninth, stranding a runner on third by fanning Rob Andino swinging.
Andrus worked a leadoff walk and Hamilton sent him home with a two-run shot to right which nearly reached the warehouse across Eutaw Street.
The O's came back with three in the second thanks to three errors: a Kinsler fielding gaffe on a Matt Wieters grounder which put runners on the corners, Andrus' throwing error on a Tolleson infield hit that allowed Wieters to score and Hamilton's wild throw on a Luis Exposito fly which plated Reynolds. Betemit came up with a sacrifice fly during the rally as well.
Texas upped its mark to 6-0-6 in doubleheaders since dropping two to the Yankees in May of 2007...Andrus extended his hit streak to 10 games and also stretched his run of reaching base to 28 consecutive outings...Hamilton ended the set by going 8-for-17 with six runs scored, six home runs and 12 RBI...Lindstrom was dented for three hits and three runs -- two earned -- in his inning on the mound...Baltimore also placed outfielder Endy Chavez on the 15-day disabled list with a left oblique strain.
- TEXAS: 7
May 10 9:56 PM
- Michael Young grounded out third to first scoring Elvis Andrus with two outs. On the play, Adrian Beltre advances to second and Josh Hamilton advances to third. Runners on second and third and David Murphy due up.
Rangers 7, Orioles 3 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 10 9:07 PM
- Elvis Andrus single to center scored Mitch Moreland with one out. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to third and Elvis Andrus advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 5, Orioles 3 Top 7, 1 OutMay 10 9:04 PM
- Elvis Andrus single to center scored Mike Napoli with two outs. Runner on first and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 4, Orioles 3 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 10 8:29 PM
- Mike Napoli triple to right scored Nelson Cruz with none out. Runner on third and Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 3, Orioles 3 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 10 8:25 PM
- Robert Andino grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Rangers 2, Orioles 3 End 2May 10 7:52 PM
- Steve Tolleson infield singled to short. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to third and Matt Wieters scored on Elvis Andrus's throwing error with one out. Runners on first and third and Luis Exposito due up.
Rangers 2, Orioles 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 10 7:50 PM
- Wilson Betemit sacrifice fly to center scored Adam Jones with one out. Runner on first and Mark Reynolds due up.
Rangers 2, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 10 7:46 PM
- Josh Hamilton one-out, two-run Home Run (15) to right scored Elvis Andrus. Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 2, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 10 7:16 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 10 7:12 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22