Indians spoil Dickey's Toronto debutApr 3, 2013 - 6:31 AM
Lonnie Chisenhall and Drew Stubbs drove in a run each for the Indians, who are looking to improve upon a 68-94 record and fourth-place finish in the AL Central.
Masterson (1-0) gave up just three hits, one run and four walks while fanning five. Chris Perez later turned in a scoreless ninth for his first save as the Tribe gave Terry Francona a win in his Cleveland managerial debut.
"A lot of the little things that were taking place that you need to do to win ballgames, we were able to do," Masterson said.
Melky Cabrera scored the lone run for the Blue Jays, who revamped their roster in the offseason thanks to a mega-deal with Miami and several free-agent signings.
Knuckleballer R.A. Dickey (0-1), the reigning NL Cy Young winner, made his Blue Jays debut and first AL appearance in four seasons. He allowed five hits and four runs -- three earned -- with four walks and as many strikeouts in six frames.
His batterymate, catcher J.P. Arencibia, was charged with three passed balls.
"It was moving pretty good," Dickey said of his knuckleball.
Cleveland's Michael Bourn singled to start the fifth, then Asdrubal Cabrera's blast landed over the right-field wall for a 4-1 Tribe edge.
Masterson completed his outing by retiring the final 10 batters he faced. Joe Smith then set down the side in order in the seventh and Vinnie Pestano followed suit in the eighth.
Perez retired the first two batters in the ninth, then Arencibia doubled before Colby Rasmus fanned to end the contest.
Cleveland got to Dickey in the second, as a Chisenhall grounder scored one run and Stubbs followed with an RBI single for a 2-0 game.
The hosts broke through in the third. Melky Cabrera singled and moved up when Stubbs mishandled the ball, Edwin Encarnacion walked and Adam Lind followed with a double-play grounder that plated Cabrera.
Cleveland improved to 58-55 all-time on Opening Day, snapping a streak of four straight losses ... Toronto fell to 19-18 all-time on Opening Day, and had won six of its last eight openers prior to Tuesday ... Francona went 744-552 in eight seasons with the Red Sox from 2004-2011, which included two World Series titles ... Dickey finished 20-6 with a 2.73 ERA for the New York Mets last season, leading the NL in starts (33), complete games (5) and shutouts (3) ... Prior to the game, the Indians lost outfielder Ezequiel Carrera on waivers to the Phillies, assigned pitchers David Huff and Nick Hagadone to Triple-A Columbus, while selecting the contract of pitcher Scott Kazmir from Columbus ... The loss came in Gibbons' first game in his second stint as Jays manager, having gone 305-305 from 2004-08.
- CLEVELAND: 4
Apr 2 10:04 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Michael Bourn. Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 4, Blue Jays 1 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 2 8:53 PM
- Adam Lind grounds into a double play, short to first scoring Melky Cabrera with two outs. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion out at second and Jose Bautista advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Indians 2, Blue Jays 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 2 8:33 PM
- Drew Stubbs single to left scores Mark Reynolds with two outs. Runner on second and Michael Bourn due up.
Indians 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 2 8:02 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall grounded out short to first scores Michael Brantley with two outs. Runner on second and Drew Stubbs due up.
Indians 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 2 8:01 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 2 7:33 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21