Morse homers twice as Mariners top AthleticsApr 3, 2013 - 6:50 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Michael Morse crushed his first two home runs of the season while Kyle Seager went three-for-three with two runs scored as the Seattle Mariners remained perfect on the year with a 7-1 win over the Oakland Athletics on Tuesday night.
Morse, who was acquired from the Washington Nationals this offseason in a three-way trade, drove in four runs to pace Seattle, which opens the season 2-0 for the second time in three seasons. Michael Saunders added two stolen bases and two runs scored for the Mariners.
"We put up some tough ABs tonight. When you do that, good things will happen," Seattle manager Eric Wedge said.
Hisashi Iwakuma (1-0) went six innings for Seattle, yielding just one run and two hits while striking out seven.
Yoenis Cespedes was the lone bright spot offensively for Oakland when he took a 2-1 offering from Iwakuma out of the park for his first home run of the season. Oakland has managed just one run through two games.
Carter Capps and Oliver Perez combined for three scoreless innings out of the bullpen for Seattle.
The Mariners trailed 1-0 after the Cespedes bomb but they quickly responded in the top of the third. After Saunders and Seager drew walks from A's starter Jarrod Parker (0-1), Morse went opposite field for his first homer of the night, giving Seattle a 3-1 advantage.
Parker was disappointing in his 2013 season debut, allowing four earned runs and five hits over five innings. He also walked three hitters and struck one just one.
"I never really settled in, didn't really get comfortable," Parker said "You're not going to be very successful when that happens."
Seattle added to its lead in the fifth inning when Kendrys Morales, another offseason addition, smacked an RBI single up the middle to plate Seager.
After Jerry Blevins and Pat Neshek combined for a scoreless sixth, Ryan Cook took the hill in the seventh inning for Oakland and struggled with his command, walking three batters and hitting another. His bases loaded walk with Justin Smoak at the plate cost his team another run. Evan Scribner entered and weathered the storm by getting Jesus Montero to pop up to end the innings and prevent any more damage.
Seager padded the lead with a two-out bloop single to left in the eighth inning, scoring Saunders who stole second on the previous pitch.
Six of the Mariners' seven runs tonight came with two outs ... Seattle hit just three-for-14 with runners in scoring position ... Franklin Gutierrez roped a double in his only at-bat ... The Athletics mustered three hits tonight, giving them just six for the season.
- SEATTLE: 7
Apr 3 1:24 AM
- Michael Morse lead off Home Run 2 (2) to center. Franklin Gutierrez due up.
Mariners 7, Athletics 1 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 3 1:11 AM
- Kyle Seager double to left scored Michael Saunders with two out. Runner on second and Kendrys Morales due up.
Mariners 6, Athletics 1 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 3 12:53 AM
- Justin Smoak walk scored Kyle Seager with two out. Bases loaded and Jesus Montero due up.
Mariners 5, Athletics 1 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 3 12:25 AM
- Kendrys Morales single to center scored Kyle Seager with two out. Runner on first and Michael Morse due up.
Mariners 4, Athletics 1 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 2 11:33 PM
- Michael Morse two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Michael Saunders and Kendrys Morales. Raul Ibanez due up.
Mariners 3, Athletics 1 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 2 10:58 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Jed Lowrie due up.
Mariners 0, Athletics 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 2 10:35 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 2 10:08 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21