Lowrie lifts Oakland over MarinersApr 4, 2013 - 7:36 AM
Lowrie had a solo homer and three RBI among his three hits in Oakland's 6-2 win over the Seattle Mariners in the third test of a four-game set.
Chris Young, who was acquired from the Arizona Diamondbacks in an offseason trade, made his first start of the season and smacked a solo shot for Oakland, which avoided its first 0-3 start since 1995.
Last year's AL West champs registered 11 hits after tallying just a run and six hits over their first two contests.
Tommy Milone (1-0) struck out four and surrendered two runs on four hits and a walk over seven frames to pick up the win.
"He doesn't let too much get to him. He just concentrates on where he's throwing that particular pitch and doesn't get too far ahead of himself," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Milone.
Joe Saunders (0-1) allowed four runs on seven hits and four walks in just four innings for the Mariners, who got solo homers from Franklin Gutierrez and Michael Morse.
"(Saunders) just didn't have the command of the secondary stuff he typically has," Seattle manager Eric Wedge said.
The game was tied at 2-2 after three before the A's pushed across a pair of runs in the fourth and seventh.
With two outs and runners on the corners in the fourth, Lowrie ripped a two- run double into the gap in right-center and in the seventh, Lowrie and Young cracked back-to-back solo shots to make it 6-2.
Earlier, Gutierrez and Morse hit solo homers in the opening frame to give the Mariners a 2-0 lead.
The A's, though, scored a run in the second and third to knot the contest. Nate Freiman slapped an RBI single up the middle in the second and Yoenis Cespedes lifted a sacrifice fly to center in the third.
Saunders had won four of his last five starts against Oakland ... The A's were 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base ... Coco Crisp scored two runs for Oakland.
- SEATTLE: 2
Apr 4 12:58 AM
- Chris Young none out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Yoenis Cespedes due up. NOTE: The Home Runs were hit back-to-back.
Mariners 2, Athletics 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 4 12:22 AM
- Jed Lowrie lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Chris Young due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 4 12:20 AM
- Jed Lowrie doubled to right center scored Josh Reddick and Coco Crisp. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Young due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 3 11:32 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes sacrifice fly to center scored Coco Crisp. Runners on first and second and with one out and Josh Donaldson due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 3 11:09 PM
- Nate Freiman singled to center scoring Josh Donaldson. Runner on first with two outs and Scott Sizemore due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 3 10:47 PM
- Michael Morse two-out, solo Home Run (3) to center. Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 3 10:13 PM
- Franklin Gutierrez lead-off Home Run (1) to left center. Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 0 OutsApr 3 10:08 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 3 10:07 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21