A's salvage split with MarinersApr 5, 2013 - 3:19 AM
Reddick finished with four RBI, while John Jaso and Nate Freiman knocked in a run apiece for the Athletics, who earned a split of this four-game series with back-to-back wins. Oakland starter A.J. Griffin (1-0) allowed two runs on seven hits over six innings.
"So far, so good," said shortstop Jed Lowrie. "We turned it on the last two games, played much better as a team. I think that was the most evident thing as compared to the last two games."
Brandon Maurer (0-1) made his major league debut for the Mariners and had a mixed performance. He threw 74 pitches over six innings, but gave up six runs on eight hits.
"I think just having the first one (start) underneath his belt, just knowing he's into his routine and he has something to work off of now," said Mariners manager Eric Wedge. "He went through some initial feelings that I'm sure he hasn't had before. These are all good things."
Michael Morse hit a solo shot and Michael Saunders had an RBI for Seattle, which was 0-for-3 with runners in scoring position.
Reddick hit a home run with one out in the first inning, scoring Coco Crisp, who had a leadoff single.
In the top of the fifth, Griffin gave up singles to Dustin Ackley and Kelly Shoppach. Robert Andino advanced the runners with a sacrifice bunt and Saunders then hit a sacrifice fly to left.
In the bottom of the inning, Chris Young had a leadoff double. With Jaso at the plate, Maurer threw a wild pitch that allowed Young to reach third base. Two pitches later, Jaso singled and Young scored easily.
Morse homered to lead off the sixth and close the gap to 3-2.
Lowrie hit a one-out double in the bottom of the inning, and Reddick followed that with a double of his own, allowing Lowrie to score. Cespedes then hit a home run on a 2-1 count to give the Athletics a 6-2 lead.
In the eighth, after a leadoff single by Crisp and a double by Lowrie, Reddick hit a sac fly to center, bringing Crisp to the plate and Lowrie to third. Freiman's sac fly scored Lowrie.
Griffin threw 95 pitches in his outing ... The Athletics were 3-for-3 with runners in scoring position ... Morse has homered four times in the first four games, joining Ken Griffey Jr. in 1997 as the only Mariners player to do so.
- SEATTLE: 2
Apr 4 6:10 PM
- Nate Freiman sacrifice fly out to right scored Jed Lowrie. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Young due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 4 5:59 PM
- Josh Reddick sacrifice fly out to center scored Coco Crisp. On the play, Jed Lowrie advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 7 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 4 5:57 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Josh Reddick. Brandon Moss due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 6 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 4 5:19 PM
- Josh Reddick doubled to left scoring Jed Lowrie. Runner on second with one out and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 4 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 4 5:16 PM
- Michael Morse lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 2, Athletics 3 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 4 5:00 PM
- John Jaso singled to right scoring Chris Young. Runner on first with none out and Josh Donaldson due up.
Mariners 1, Athletics 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 4 4:55 PM
- Michael Saunders sacrifice fly out to left scored Dustin Ackley. Runner on second with two outs and Franklin Gutierrez due up.
Mariners 1, Athletics 2 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 4 4:42 PM
- Josh Reddick one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Coco Crisp. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Mariners 0, Athletics 2 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 4 3:49 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 4 3:37 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21