Twins top OriolesApr 7, 2013 - 10:33 PM
Justin Morneau hit a double that plated two runs and Chris Parmelee added a sacrifice fly for the Twins, who saw starter Pedro Hernandez, making just his second career start, give up three runs on four hits and walk three over five innings.
"It felt good not only to get a hit but to drive a run in," Hicks said. "It was the go-ahead run and the game-winning run so it was good. I've been trying to get a hit the entire time. I'm feeling good at the plate even though the results aren't showing it."
Reliever Anthony Swarzak (1-0) tossed 1 1/3 innings of scoreless ball to pick up his first victory of the season.
J.J. Hardy hit a two-run homer and Nick Markakis had two hits and one RBI for Baltimore, which scored all three runs in the second inning. Starter Jason Hammel (1-1) was tagged for four runs on four hits over 6 2/3 innings while striking out three batters in his second start of the season.
Hammel gave up three runs on three hits while lasting six innings in Baltimore's 7-4 win at Tampa Bay on Tuesday.
Trevor Plouffe was hit by a pitch to open up the seventh frame and Wilkin Ramirez put runners on first and second base with a single to left. Brian Dozier put the runners in scoring position with a sacrifice bunt before Parmelee, who pinch hit for Pedro Florimon, delivered the sacrifice fly to tie the game.
That's when Hicks, who was 0-for-13 to start the season, came up huge with two outs with the eventual game-winning single to right-center scoring Plouffe.
Glen Perkins picked up his second save of the year with a perfect ninth inning.
"We had some people out there, just couldn't get a hit," Baltimore manager Buck Showalter said. "Hits were at a premium today."
Florimon drew a walk early in the third before a fly out, but with two down, Hammel walked Mauer and hit Josh Willingham to load the bases.
Morneau made him pay with a double in the left field gap scoring two runners to make it 3-2.
The Orioles plated three runs in the second, the first two resulting in Hardy's two-run shot to left-center. Nolan Reimold singled up the middle and two batters later, Markakis added his own single to center which scored Reimold to make it 3-0.
Hernandez was re-called from Triple-A Rochester to replace pitcher Cole De Vries, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm strain ... Baltimore's Chris Davis was looking to drive in a run for the sixth consecutive game to start the season. He finished 0-for-4 ... Hammel is 2-1 in four starts versus Minnesota ... Reimold left the game in the sixth inning with a tight right hamstring.
- MINNESOTA: 4
Apr 7 4:33 PM
- Aaron Hicks single to center scored Wilkin Ramirez with two outs. Runner on first and Joe Mauer due up.
Twins 4, Orioles 3 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 7 3:35 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Parmelee sacrifice fly out to right scored Trevor Plouffe with two outs. Runner on second and Aaron Hicks due up.
Twins 3, Orioles 3 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 7 3:34 PM
- Justin Morneau double to center scored Pedro Florimon and Joe Mauer with two outs. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to third. Runners on second and third and Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 2, Orioles 3 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 7 2:31 PM
- Nick Markakis single to center scored Nolan Reimold with two outs. On the play, Alexi Casilla advances to second. Runners on first and second with Manny Machado due up.
Twins 0, Orioles 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 7 2:18 PM
- J.J. Hardy one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left center scored Adam Jones. Nolan Reimold due up.
Twins 0, Orioles 2 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 7 2:09 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 7 1:39 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22