Jackson fuels Tigers in rout of A'sApr 15, 2013 - 2:51 AM
Torii Hunter added three hits -- two doubles and a triple -- to go with an RBI and two runs scored, while Miguel Cabrera added a pair of RBI for the Tigers, who improved to 7-5 on the season.
"Austin Jackson has been awesome at the top of the lineup," Hunter said. "He's been getting on base for Cabrera, myself, Prince (Fielder) and Victor (Martinez). He's the one setting the tone for all of us."
Anibal Sanchez (2-0) dazzled Oakland hitters for seven innings, allowing just one run on three hits and four walks while striking out eight.
Derek Norris drove in the only run for the Athletics, who have dropped back- to-back games following a nine-game winning streak.
Jarrod Parker (0-2) was tagged for eight runs on nine hits over just 3 1/3 innings in the setback.
"Parker was trying to pound the zone early on with the fastball. He was, but they were just hitting. It's puzzling when he gets hit because his stuff is so good," A's manager Bob Melvin said.
Detroit scored a pair of runs in both the first and second inning. In the first, Jackson singled then scored on Hunter's double to center field. Hunter then moved to third on Cabrera's ground out before Parker intentionally walked Fielder to put runners on the corners. Victor Martinez followed with a sacrifice fly to plate Hunter.
In the second, Alex Avila singled before Jackson smoked a two-run homer of the left-center field wall to make it 4-0. It was Jackson first home run of the season.
Detroit broke the game open with a four-run fourth. Jackson singled and Hunter doubled to put runners at second and third with one out. Cabrera followed with a two-run base hit before coming around on Fielder's line drive double to center. Martinez's groundout moved Fielder to third, and Andy Dirks followed with an RBI single to give the Tigers an 8-0 lead.
Oakland finally got on the board in the home half after Norris plated Jed Lowrie with a sacrifice fly.
Jackson added an RBI base hit in the seventh and Jhonny Peralta's run-scoring single in the eighth accounted for the final margin.
Fielder went 1-for-3 with an RBI double and two runs scored ... Fielder and Hunter extended their hitting streaks to nine games ... The Tigers went 6- for-18 with runners in scoring position ... Tigers second baseman Omar Infante's hitting streak ended at nine games ... Lowrie and Erick Sogard had one hit apiece for Oakland ... The A's went 0-for-6 with RISP ... Oakland outfielder Coco Crisp missed his second straight game with a groin injury.
- DETROIT: 10
Apr 14 7:16 PM
- Jhonny Peralta singled to center scoring Prince Fielder. On the play, Victor Martinez advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 10, Athletics 1 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 14 6:53 PM
- Austin Jackson singled to left scoring Jhonny Peralta. Runner on first with two outs and Torii Hunter due up.
Tigers 9, Athletics 1 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 14 6:30 PM
- Derek Norris sacrifice fly out to left scored Jed Lowrie. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Eric Sogard due up.
Tigers 8, Athletics 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 14 5:43 PM
- Andy Dirks singled to center scoring Prince Fielder. Runner on first with two outs and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Tigers 8, Athletics 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 14 5:27 PM
- Prince Fielder doubled to left center scoring Miguel Cabrera. Runner on second with one out and Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 7, Athletics 0 Top 4, 1 OutApr 14 5:22 PM
- Miguel Cabrera singled to left scoring Austin Jackson and Torii Hunter. Runner on first with one out and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 6, Athletics 0 Top 4, 1 OutApr 14 5:17 PM
- Austin Jackson one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left center scored Alex Avila. Torii Hunter due up.
Tigers 4, Athletics 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 14 4:34 PM
- Victor Martinez singled to right center scoring Torii Hunter. On the play, Prince Fielder advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Andy Dirks due up.
Tigers 2, Athletics 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 14 4:15 PM
- Torii Hunter doubled to center scoring Austin Jackson. Runner on second with none out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 0 OutsApr 14 4:11 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 14 4:07 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22