Cabrera homers, knocks in four as Tigers top MarinersApr 17, 2013 - 6:21 AM
Detroit, winners in three straight, received another solid effort out of Doug Fister (3-0), who scattered two runs on four hits over seven innings of work.
Austin Jackson had a triple among his two hits along with two runs scored, a stolen base and an RBI. Torii Hunter also had two hits to extend his hitting streak to 10 games and knocked in a run, while Victor Martinez added three hits in the victory.
The recently acquired Aaron Harang (0-1) made his Seattle debut, lasting five innings and allowing three runs on seven hits with six strikeouts. He was acquired last week from the Colorado Rockies.
"Once I got out there and got through that first inning, felt like I was able to get more of a rhythm, but I felt good," said Harang. "I was really please with the fact that I didn't have any walks, so I was happy about that."
The Mariners had just four hits, with Kendrys Morales and Michael Morse each driving in a run in the setback.
Jackson, who has reached base safely in all 13 games this season, led the game off with a triple and trotted home on Cabrera's base hit into left to give Detroit an early 1-0 lead.
The Mariners pushed two runs across off Fister in the fourth, but had very little success at the plate the rest of the game.
Kyle Seager reached on a one-out double and came home on Morales' two-bagger. Morse then pushed Morales across with a single to center to put the Mariners ahead, 2-1.
Fister, though, would give up just one hit over his final three innings of work.
"I felt pretty good, felt like I kept the ball down for the most part in most cases, was able to throw my breaking stuff over," said Fister. "But the biggest thing was defense, those guys made some great plays."
Al Alburquerque and Joaquin Benoit each turned in a perfect inning of relief, with each striking out two batters.
The Tigers' offense scored two runs in the fifth to take the lead for good on the bat of Cabrera, who stroked a two-run homer for a 3-2 Tigers' advantage. Hunter had reached base with a two-out single the at-bat prior.
Cabrera extended the lead to 4-2 in the seventh with his fourth RBI. Jackson singled and stole second before sprinting home on Cabrera's base hit into left.
The Tigers then added their final two runs in the eighth when Jackson and Hunter each drew bases loaded walks off Bobby LaFromboise and Yoervis Medina, respectively.
Detroit's Prince Fielder went 0-for-5 with four strikeouts, ending his nine- game hitting streak ... Harang made his first American League start since 2003 ... Medina made his big-league debut ... Seattle went 5-1 versus Detroit last season ... The Tigers were 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position.
- DETROIT: 6
Apr 17 1:22 AM
- Torii Hunter walked Jhonny Peralta scored on the play with two outs. Bases loaded and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 6, Mariners 2 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 17 12:50 AM
- Austin Jackson walked Andy Dirks scored on the play with two outs. Bases loaded and Torii Hunter due up.
Tigers 5, Mariners 2 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 17 12:45 AM
- Miguel Cabrera single to left scored Austin Jackson with two outs. Runner on first and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 4, Mariners 2 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 17 12:15 AM
- Miguel Cabrera two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to center scored Torii Hunter. Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 3, Mariners 2 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 16 11:33 PM
- Michael Morse single to center scored Kendrys Morales with one out. Runner on first and Raul Ibanez due up.
Tigers 1, Mariners 2 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 16 11:18 PM
- Kendrys Morales double to right center scored Kyle Seager with one out. Runner on second and Michael Morse due up.
Tigers 1, Mariners 1 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 16 11:16 PM
- Miguel Cabrera single to left scored Austin Jackson with one out. Runner on first and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 1, Mariners 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 16 10:17 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 16 10:10 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22