Bourjos, Angels knock around TigersApr 20, 2013 - 5:50 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Peter Bourjos went 3-for-4 with three RBI and a run scored to back six scoreless innings from Tommy Hanson, as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim dominated the Detroit Tigers, 8-1, in the opener of a three- game series.
Albert Pujols went 3-for-5 with two RBI for the Angels (5-10), who avoided their worst 15-game start in franchise history. Mike Trout knocked in two runs and scored once.
Hanson (2-1) gave up six hits while walking four and striking out two for Los Angeles, which snapped a two-game skid.
"We had our share of big hits tonight," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.
Tigers outfielder Torii Hunter went 2-for-4 with a run scored in his return to Angel Stadium. After the Angels balked at re-signing Hunter after he hit a career-best .313 last season, the veteran moved on to sign a two-year, $26 million deal with defending AL champion Detroit. Hunter received a standing ovation from the crowd Friday night.
Detroit starter Anibal Sanchez (2-1) allowed three runs -- two earned -- on 11 hits over 6 2/3 innings.
The Angels got on the board in the third. Luis Jimenez singled to shallow left field, moved to second on shortstop Jhonny Peralta's throwing error, advanced to third on Bourjos' bunt single and scored on Trout's sacrifice fly.
Los Angeles tacked on another run in the fourth. With two outs, Chris Iannetta singled to third, advanced to second on a wild pitch and raced home on Brendan Harris' double to left-center field.
Meanwhile, the Tigers left at least one man on base over the first five innings.
"We didn't play a very good game," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "We couldn't get the big hit when we needed it."
Detroit wasted a golden scoring opportunity in the seventh. Mark Lowe and Sean Burnett combined to load the bases with one out. Prince Fielder grounded into a double play to end the threat.
Pujols' RBI single in the bottom half made it a 3-0 game.
The Angels scored five runs in the eighth to turn the contest into a rout. Octavio Dotel filled the bags with two outs. Bourjos cleared the bases with a triple to left-center field. Trout followed with an RBI double to right. Brayan Villarreal came in from the bullpen and Pujols greeted him with an RBI single to left, making it 8-0.
Hunter scored on Miguel Cabrera's single in the ninth.
The Angels placed infielder Alberto Callaspo on the 15-day disabled list and recalled pitcher Michael Kohn from Triple-A Salt Lake ... Los Angeles started a six-game homestand on Friday ... The Tigers went 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position and stranded 12.
- DETROIT: 1
LOS ANGELES: 8
Apr 20 1:11 AM
- Miguel Cabrera single to center scored Torii Hunter with two out. Runner on first and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 1, Angels 8 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 20 1:10 AM
- Albert Pujols single to left scored Mike Trout with two out. Runner on first and Josh Hamilton due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 20 12:59 AM
- Mike Trout double to right scored Peter Bourjos with two out. Runner on second and Albert Pujols due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 20 12:55 AM
- Peter Bourjos triple to center scored Howie Kendrick, Chris Iannetta and Luis Jimenez with two out. Runner on third and Mike Trout due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 20 12:55 AM
- Albert Pujols single to left scored Luis Jimenez with two out. Runner on first and Josh Hamilton due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 20 12:26 AM
- Brendan Harris double to left scored Chris Iannetta with two out. Runner on second and Luis Jimenez due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 19 11:19 PM
- Mike Trout sacrifice fly out to right scored Luis Jimenez with one out. Runner on first and Albert Pujols due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 1 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 19 10:55 PM
- DETROIT: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 19 10:08 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22