Big 1st inning leads Angels in rout of TigersApr 20, 2013 - 10:46 PM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Mike Trout punctuated a nine-run first inning with his first career grand slam, and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim rode the early outburst to a 10-0 win over the Detroit Tigers in the middle test of a three-game set.
Angels starter Garrett Richards (1-0) limited the Tigers to two hits over seven innings and matched his career high with eight strikeouts while issuing no walks.
"I was pleased with the way I attacked the zone," Richards said. "The guys played great defense behind me and the offense came alive. You couldn't ask for anything more."
Peter Bourjos collected three hits for Los Angeles, which has won two straight and four of six overall.
It was a forgettable outing for Rick Porcello (0-2). The Detroit right-hander failed to make it out of the opening frame, recording just two outs and allowing nine runs on nine hits with one walk.
"Rick was a little rusty, a little wild and a little unlucky," said Detroit manager Jim Leyland.
Drew Smyly pitched effectively in relief, holding the Angels to four hits and compiling seven strikeouts in 5 2/3 scoreless innings.
The Tigers have scored one run during their three-game losing streak.
Porcello gave up three consecutive hits to begin the first, with Bourjos scoring on Albert Pujols' single. After Josh Hamilton walked to load the bases, Mark Trumbo singled home Trout and Howie Kendrick plated a pair with a base hit.
When Chris Iannetta grounded into a double play, Porcello appeared to be on the verge of getting out of the frame. Unfortunately for him, the hits kept coming.
Three straight singles were followed by Trout's blast to center field.
Bourjos added a sacrifice fly in the eighth.
The Angels sent 13 men to the plate in the first inning and scored at least nine runs during the opening frame for the first time since June 29, 1995 at Texas ... The Tigers were outhit, 14-4 ... Detroit right fielder Torii Hunter went 0-for-3 to end his hitting streak at 12 games ... The Angels placed pitcher Mark Lowe on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with a left neck strain and recalled infielder Tommy Field from Triple-A Salt Lake.
- DETROIT: 0
LOS ANGELES: 10
Apr 20 5:59 PM
- Peter Bourjos sacrifice fly out to left scored Chris Iannetta. Runner on second with two outs and Mike Trout due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 20 5:50 PM
- Mike Trout two-out, Grand Slam (2) to center scored Brendan Harris, Luis Jimenez and Peter Bourjos. Albert Pujols due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 9 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 20 3:40 PM
- Brendan Harris single to left scored Mark Trumbo. Runner on first with two outs and Luis Jimenez due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 5 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 20 3:34 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to center scored Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Chris Iannetta due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 4 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 20 3:33 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to center scored Albert Pujols. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to second and Josh Hamilton advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Chris Iannetta due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 20 3:29 PM
- Mark Trumbo single to right scored Mike Trout. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second and Albert Pujols advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 20 3:29 PM
- Albert Pujols single to center scored Peter Bourjos. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Tigers 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 20 3:23 PM
- DETROIT: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 20 3:06 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22