Machado helps O's sweep doubleheaderApr 21, 2013 - 3:50 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Manny Machado belted a three-run homer and drove in four runs, and Chris Davis added a solo shot in Baltimore's 6-1 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the sweep of a day/night doubleheader.
In the afternoon contest, Nolan Reimold's go-ahead, two-run double in the bottom of the eighth inning lifted Baltimore to a 7-5 win. Reimold added a solo homer, while J.J. Hardy smacked a two-run shot and Chris Davis tallied three hits and scored three times for the Orioles.
The twinbill was made necessary due to Friday night's rainout.
Wei-Yin Chen (1-2) allowed three hits, a run along with four walks while striking out two over six innings in the night contest. Tommy Hunter tossed the final three innings for his first save of his career.
"We're just going to keep this same momentum going," Machado said. "It definitely helps that we came out with two games today."
Josh Beckett (0-3) was tagged for eight hits and all six runs over 5 2/3 innings, as the Dodgers lost their sixth in a row. Beckett has lost his last seven road decisions, last winning an away start on July 15, 2012 against Tampa Bay.
Carl Crawford was hit by a pitch to start the game, and he eventually scored in the first inning on an Adrian Gonzalez sacrifice fly to left field.
Davis' home run, his seventh of the year, traveled 448 feet to center field in the second. That distance is tied for the 11th longest home run, third-longest by an Oriole, in Camden Yards history.
Baltimore wasted a bases-loaded chance in the fourth, but went ahead the following inning. Nate McLouth walked, stole second and went to third on a throwing error by catcher A.J. Ellis. Machado followed with a double down the left-field line. One out later, Adam Jones doubled off the glove of Crawford as he neared the wall in left-center field. That plated Machado for a 3-1 lead.
Ryan Flaherty and McLouth singled with two outs in the sixth, and Machado followed with his homer to left field. That ended Beckett's night on the mound.
"That was his game at that point," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said about Beckett before he faced Machado. "That was pretty much his last hitter. He kept us in the game. He gave us a chance."
Hunter gave up three hits in the final three innings.
Prior to the game, the Orioles held a ceremony to honor Hall of Fame manager Earl Weaver, who passed away earlier this year at the age of 82. Weaver guided the Orioles to six AL East titles, four AL pennants and one World Series championship in parts of 17 seasons as skipper. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1996 ... This is the first doubleheader sweep for the Orioles since Oct. 1, 2010 versus Detroit ... Baltimore is 2-1-6 in their last nine doubleheaders.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
Apr 20 10:03 PM
- Manny Machado two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Ryan Flaherty and Nate McLouth. Nick Markakis due up.
Dodgers 1, Orioles 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 20 9:16 PM
- Adam Jones double to center scored Manny Machado with two out. Runner on second and Chris Davis due up.
Dodgers 1, Orioles 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 20 8:57 PM
- Manny Machado double to left scored Nate McLouth with one out. Runner on second and Nick Markakis due up.
Dodgers 1, Orioles 2 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 20 8:53 PM
- Chris Davis one-out, solo Home Run (7) to center. J.J. Hardy due up.
Dodgers 1, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 20 7:47 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez sacrifice fly to left scored Carl Crawford with two out. Runner on first and Jerry Hairston due up.
Dodgers 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 20 7:25 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 20 7:17 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22