Dodgers edge Orioles, end six-game losing skidApr 21, 2013 - 11:25 PM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Matt Kemp went 3-for-5 and Mark Ellis knocked in three runs as the Los Angeles Dodgers avoided a series sweep from the Baltimore Orioles with a 7-4 win on Sunday afternoon.
Trailing 4-1 in the fourth inning, Dodgers manager Don Mattingly had faith that his team would turn things around.
"We gotta keep fighting, we're going to get that big hit," said Mattingly on the air during the fourth inning. "We have to believe that."
The Dodgers then made their manager look good next time they came to the plate. After Orioles starter Jake Arrieta walked the bases loaded in the fifth, Ellis came through with a two-run single to left. T.J. McFarland replaced Arrieta, but LA's big inning continued with an RBI double by Adrian Gonzalez and a run-scoring single by Kemp.
Kemp added a run scored and his third steal of the season for the Dodgers, who snapped a six-game losing skid. Gonzalez had two hits and J.P. Howell (1-0) picked up his first win of the season in relief of Stephen Fife.
"We've lost six straight games, so any win is good for us at the moment," said Kemp. "We have to continue to grind it out."
Fife, who replaced Chad Billingsley in the rotation after the latter was placed on the disabled list earlier Sunday with right elbow pain, earned a no- decision in his first start of 2013. He allowed four runs and seven hits while striking out five over 4 2/3 innings.
Adam Jones ripped his third home run of the season, a solo shot, for Baltimore. Chris Davis had three hits to increase his batting average to .403 on the season.
Arrieta (1-1) looked unhittable early on, but struggled with his command in the decisive fifth inning before being pulled without recording an out. Arrieta went just four innings and allowed five runs while walking five, though he did register six strikeouts.
"It's bad, it's just bad," said Arrieta. "I had a few walks in the first couple innings, ya know, there's no reason I'm not pitching in the eighth today. That's frustrating."
The O's took an early 3-0 lead with first-inning RBI singles from Nick Markakis and J.J. Hardy, with the last knocking in a pair of runs.
Each team tacked on a run in the third inning before the Dodgers erupted for four in the fifth to move ahead.
A.J. Ellis plated Kemp with an RBI single in the seventh inning and Jerry Hairston's sacrifice fly gave Los Angeles some insurance for Brandon League, who closed the door in the ninth for his fifth save of the season.
Five Dodgers relievers allowed just three hits and no runs in 4 1/3 innings of work ... Dodgers leadoff hitter Carl Crawford drew three walks.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
Apr 21 5:02 PM
- Jerry Hairston sacrifice fly to left scored Adrian Gonzalez with two out. Runner on second with two outs and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 7, Orioles 4 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 21 4:54 PM
- A.J. Ellis single to right scored Matt Kemp with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Dodgers 6, Orioles 4 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 21 4:15 PM
- Matt Kemp single to left scored Mark Ellis with none out. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 5, Orioles 4 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 21 3:19 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez double to left scored Carl Crawford with none out. On the play, Mark Ellis advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 4, Orioles 4 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 21 3:17 PM
- Mark Ellis single to center scored Skip Schumaker and Justin Sellers with none out. On the play, Carl Crawford advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 3, Orioles 4 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 21 3:13 PM
- Adam Jones one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Chris Davis due up.
Dodgers 1, Orioles 4 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 21 2:45 PM
- Mark Ellis sacrifice fly to left scored A.J. Ellis with two out. Runners on first and second with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 1, Orioles 3 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 21 2:36 PM
- J.J. Hardy single to right scored Nick Markakis and Adam Jones. On the play, Chris Davis advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Ryan Flaherty due up.
Dodgers 0, Orioles 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 21 2:06 PM
- Nick Markakis single to center scored Nate McLouth with one out. Runner on first with one out and Adam Jones due up.
Dodgers 0, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 21 1:55 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 1:41 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22