Kendrick homers twice as Angels beat Rangers in extrasApr 24, 2013 - 5:56 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Howie Kendrick's game-winning solo homer in the 11th inning was his second of the night and lifted the LA Angels of Anaheim to a 5-4 win over the Texas Rangers in the middle test of a three-game set.
Facing Joe Ortiz (2-1) with one away, Kendrick got a 1-1 fastball down the heart of the plate and smacked it over the center field wall to give the Angels their fourth win in five games.
"I just tried to stay in the middle and drive the ball," Kendrick said of the homer. "He was trying to get the ball in and he left it over the plate. It was a four seam."
Kendrick also stroked a two-run shot and added an RBI single in the triumph.
Mike Trout's spectacular catch in the ninth kept the game tied. With a man on third and two outs, Adrian Beltre ripped a hooking liner earmarked for the left-field corner. But Trout got a fantastic jump on the ball and made a diving grab at the warning track to keep the contest tied.
Dane De La Rosa (1-0) tossed two perfect frames to pick up the win.
Nelson Cruz had a three-run homer for Texas, which had its four-game winning streak snapped.
"We battled back after giving them two runs in the first. Alexi (Ogando) kept us in the game and we felt good with Ortiz out there, but Howie got us tonight," Texas manager Ron Washington said.
The Angels plated a pair in the first and fourth to jump out to a 4-0 lead.
Mark Trumbo and Kendrick had RBI singles in the first, while Kendrick belted a two-run shot in the fourth that sailed just over the outstretched glove of a leaping Craig Gentry in center.
The Rangers, though, knotted the contest after pushing across three in the sixth and another in the eighth.
Cruz smacked a three-run blast onto the grass in left-center in the sixth and with the bags full and none away in the eighth, David Murphy grounded into a 6-4-3 double play to knot the tilt at 4-4.
The Halos stranded the bases loaded in the 10th.
Angels starter Jason Vargas surrendered three runs on seven hits and three walks over seven innings, while Texas starter Alexi Ogando gave up four runs -- two earned -- on six hits and three walks over seven-plus frames.
- TEXAS: 4
LOS ANGELES: 5
Apr 24 1:29 AM
- Howie Kendrick one-out, solo Home Run 2 (3) to center to end the game.
Rangers 4, Angels 5 Bot 11, 1 OutApr 24 1:22 AM
- David Murphy grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Adrian Beltre with two out. A.J. Pierzynski out at second. Nelson Cruz advances to third. Runner on third and Craig Gentry due up.
Rangers 4, Angels 4 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 24 12:15 AM
- Nelson Cruz one-out, three-run Home Run (4) to left scored Elvis Andrus and Lance Berkman. A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 4 Top 6, 1 OutApr 23 11:43 PM
- Howie Kendrick one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to center scored Mark Trumbo. Brendan Harris due up.
Rangers 0, Angels 4 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 23 11:11 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to short scored Albert Pujols with two out. On the play, Mark Trumbo was tagged out between second and third, short to second to third to end the inning.
Rangers 0, Angels 2 End 1Apr 23 10:33 PM
- Mark Trumbo single to center scored Mike Trout with two out. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to second. Runners on first and second and Howie Kendrick due up.
Rangers 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 23 10:29 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 23 10:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22